Cheshire West & Chester Council logo

Approved food premises

In partnership with EUGO LogoLicence summary 

If you operate certain types of  food premises you may need to be approved either by by your local authority or in some cases, the Meat Hygiene Service.

Examples of types of premises that are required to be approved local authorities are manufacturing or processing premises for meat, fish, egg or dairy products not for sale to the final consumer.

There are exemptions from approval subject to certain criteria. You should contact your local authority to see if you require approval,

The Food Standards Agency (FSA) are notified of all Local Authority and Meat Hygiene Service approved premises and keep a full register of those premises. Contact the Food Standards Agency on 020 7276 8829 or Email:

Fresh meat premises such as fresh red meat and poultry slaughter houses, cutting plants or farmed and wild game handling establishments, require approval by the Meat Hygiene Service (MHS).

The MHS is an Executive Agency of the FSA and carries out the official controls in fresh meat premises in England, Scotland and Wales.
Contact the MHS at:

Tel: 01904 455501

Eligibility criteria 

No provision in legislation

Regulation summary 

Application evaluation process 

No provision in legislation

Will tacit consent apply? 

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact us. You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or use the contact details below.

Target completion

Applications will be dealt with within 30 days.

Apply online 

Contact details

Enquiries for Local Authority approval should be made to :
Food Safety Team
Regulatory Services
Cheshire West and Chester Council
The Forum
Chester CH1 9SA

Tel: 0300 123 7 038

Fax: 01244 973733


Failed application redress 

Please contact Cheshire West and Chester Council in the first instance.

Licence holder redress 

Please contact Cheshire West and Chester Council in the first instance.

Consumer complaint 

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice Consumer Service will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Public register or database

A register of all approved premises in England, Scotland and Wales is kept by the Food Standards Agency.

Contact Cheshire West and Chester Council, Regulatory Services to view those approved premises within the district.

Trade associations