English National Bus Pass
Please note: A national issue has been identified which is stopping ticket machines from reading some ENCTS passes. If you believe the correct process has not been followed when you have travelled please contact the operator of the service in the first instance, their contact details should be located on the ticket issued to you when you travelled. Information from the ticket may also be requested to allow any necessary investigation so please ensure you have this to hand. Further information about how bus operators should handle your pass can be found in section nine of the published particulars of the Cheshire Boroughs concessionary travel scheme at the foot of this page.
Where to find help
Renewal of an expiring bus pass
If your bus pass is due to expire you will receive a letter to your home address four to six weeks before the expiry date. The letter will contain details on how you can renew your pass.
If you have received a letter with a unique renewal code and are in possession of your current bus pass then the quickest way to renew is online.
- Telephone: 0300 123 7025
- Visit: any council office listed on our concessionary travel homepage
How to apply for free
- English National bus pass for older people application (PDF, 136KB)
- English National bus pass for disabled people application (PDF, 164KB)
- Replacement bus pass application form (PDF, 149KB)
Please note change of office address: Frodsham office address is Princeway Health Centre, 2 Princeway, Frodsham, WA6 6PX and the Neston Office address is Neston Library, Parkgate Road, Neston, Cheshire, CH64 6QE
At the time of application you will be required to provide:
- Proof of residence
- Proof of age/identity
- One passport size and quality photograph
- For disabled persons - proof of disability - acceptable forms of evidence are detailed on the application form.
Your bus pass will be valid for a maximum of five years. All bus passes will be issued by post direct to your home usually within 21 days of receipt of your application.
Permanent residents of West Cheshire who:
- are eligible disabled (refer to application)
- are of eligible age - you can check when you'll become eligible by entering your details into the State Pension age timetables
What your bus pass entitles you to
Holders of an English National Concessionary Bus Pass issued by the Cheshire Consortium are entitled to the following concessions.
On journeys starting in Cheshire West and Chester, Halton or Warrington
- Monday - Friday between 9.30am and last bus: Free fare
- Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holiday: Free fare
On journeys starting in Cheshire East
- Monday - Friday before 9.30am: half fare
- Monday - Friday between 9.30am and last bus: free fare
- Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holiday: free fare
These same concessions apply to bus services going into Wales providing the journey starts or ends in Cheshire boundary.
In the rest of England
- Monday - Friday between 9.30am - 11pm: free fare
- Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holiday: free fare
Replacement bus passes
If your bus pass has been lost or stolen a replacement can be issued if you complete the replacement bus pass application form:
The charge for a replacement bus pass is £10. Stolen passes will be replaced free of charge on production of a completed replacement application form and a copy of the reported crime letter issued by the police.
If your original pass is found after the issue of your replacement you must return the original pass to the council for secure disposal.
Lost bus pass
If you find a lost bus pass please return to:
- Freepost RSCB-HGGY-JTHX, Concessionary Travel, Rivacre Business Centre, Mill Lane, Ellesmere Port, CH66 3BR.
If you have lost your bus pass, for further information or enquiries please contact the helpline on 01244 973353. Lines open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.
If you are visiting Cheshire West and Chester and have an ENCTS pass issued by another English authority you will be entitled to the following concessions on local bus services:
- Monday - Friday between 9.30am - last bus: free fare
- Saturday, Sunday or Bank Holiday: free fare
Please note other local enhancements such as travel into Wales are only available to Cheshire residents / passholders.
Information for local bus operators
- Published particulars of the Cheshire Boroughs concessionary travel scheme 1 April 2011 to 31 March 2014 with changes from 1 April 2013 (PDF, 79.5KB)
Cheshire West and Chester Council has a duty to protect the public funds it administers, for further information visit the Privacy page on this website.
Please note: Fees and charges are correct at time of writing and may be subject to change.