Becoming a ceremony venue
In England and Wales civil marriage and civil partnership ceremonies can only take place in register offices or venues which have been granted an ‘approved premises’ licence.
Applying for an approved premises licence is simple and straightforward.
Once approved, your venue will be listed on our website and included in our promotional material, as well as being added to a national database which lists all licensed venues in England and Wales.
The premises must:
- be a permanently, immovable structure and comprise of at least one room
- be regularly available to the public and have appropriate fire precautions and health and safety provision
- not have any recent religious connections
- not be a temporary structure, for example, tents and marquees are not eligible for approval.
Licence fees to 31 March 2016
- £560 for a three year licence period
- £24 administrative fee for a change to an existing licence
- £93 fee charged where a change to an existing licence requires a site visit.
How to apply
Apply and pay online:
Alternatively complete and return an application form to us along with your payment:
Applications must be made by the owner or manager of the premises.
We recommend that you include all the rooms which may possibly be used for ceremonies on your application. Although you can add extra rooms at a later date, an additional fee will be charged.
Renewing an existing licence
We contact existing approved premises licence
holders six months before their licence is due to expire to
invite them to renew their licence.
Licence holders are welcome to submit renewal applications anytime during the last year of the current licence, preferably at least six months before the existing licence expires.
The process for renewing a licence and the fee is the same as a applying for the first time.