Cheshire West & Chester Council logo

Vulnerable adults

A vulnerable adult is any person aged 18 or over who is in need of community care services by reason of:

Where to find help

Abuse or mistreatment

Although the above list is fairly comprehensive it is not exhaustive.

Who does it

Sadly it can be anyone including ones nearest and dearest. Research by Action on Elder Absue  suggests that as many as one in 11 older people in the UK are mistreated or neglected by those they trust the most. Two thirds of these are abused by members of their own family. Care staff, too, can be abusers. There are many examples of this, including those where the abusers have deliberately chosen to work in environments where there will be vulnerable people, such as those with learning disabilities.

Any types of abuse may be carried out as the result of deliberate actions, negligence or ignorance.

Where does it happen

Abuse can happen anywhere – in a person’s home, in the street, in a residential or nursing home, at a day centre or resource centre, in a hospital or indeed any place where vulnerable people might be.

What is being done

Cheshire West and Chester Social Services have the lead role in the inter-agency Policy, Procedures and Guidance Document on the protection of vulnerable adults from abuse.

If you contact your local Access Team via the report adult abuse page, you will be asked for basic information about the person you are concerned about, and who is the alleged abuser. You will be asked about yourself, and what you heard or saw. Information will then be shared on a “needs to know” basis, but you will be kept informed about who has to be told, for example, the police if a crime may have been committed.

Together all the relevant agencies will work with the person who may be being abused, to establish what has happened, and what action the person wants taking next. Work will also be done with the alleged abuser, and multi-disciplinary options will be created which will prevent, reduce or stop further abuse from happening.

Break the silence - contact social services, or any of the organisation listed, you will be believed and given advice about what to do.

Further information

Information for professionals working with vulnerable adults

Information for the public