Cheshire West & Chester Council logo

Learning disabilities

If you have a learning disability you may need help with learning and remembering things. You may also need support to communicate and do everyday tasks.  The Council provides a range of services and help for people with a learning disability. We also aim to help those who support you (known as carers).

Help and advice

A Social Worker or an Occupational Therapist can discuss your situation with you and assess your needs. Social Workers and Occupational Therapists are highly trained professionals who are skilled in identifying physical, psychological, practical, and social needs. They can work with you and your carers to find ways of reducing your problems and meeting your needs.

If you need someone to act on your behalf, you can appoint an advocate. An advocate is someone who can support or represent you when dealing with everyday problems or in times of crisis.

Advocates can offer you support and information on how you can access your rights.

Advocacy for people with learning disabilities

A Citizen Advocate can help you and act on your behalf, especially when you need to deal with official matters or big organisations. Mencap is setting up self-advocacy groups to help people with learning disabilities to speak up for themselves but there are Citizen Advocacy organisations:

Council services

Information and advice

We can tell you about the help available and can put you in touch with other organisations that may be able to help you.

Services available include:

For more information and advice please contact adult social care.

Services offered by other organisations

Health Services
The Cheshire and Wirral Partnership NHS Trust provides for the specialist health needs of people with learning disabilities. This includes services from specialist doctors, nurses, psychologists, occupational therapists, speech therapists, and physiotherapists. The general health needs of people with learning disabilities are met by family doctors and general hospitals, in the same way as for anyone else.

We work closely with District Housing Departments and other housing providers in Cheshire to try to ensure that people with learning disabilities get accommodation that is right for them. For more information contact your local Social Services Access Team.

Help and advice about money matters
Most financial benefits and allowances are available from The Department of Work and Pensions who can give advice on benefits. Citizens Advice Bureaux also provide advice on money matters.

Private Nursing and Care Agencies
For a fee, private care and nursing agencies will provide skilled carers or qualified nurses to individuals requiring nursing or care either at home, or in supported living environments. The care may be for a 24 hour period, for short or long term illnesses or for holiday relief. Names of agencies can be obtained from Yellow Pages and the Council's Information Points on 0845 11 333 11.

Social groups, sports, and other events for people with learning disabilities
There are different opportunities in different parts of the area. We may be able to advise on what is locally available in your area, contact your local Social Services Access Team.


Government Services

Further information

Please contact your local Social Services Access Team and tell them about your needs.

If the Access Team thinks that Social Services may be able to help you they will put you in touch with someone, probably a Social Worker, who will assess your needs and work with you to deal with them. They will be able to discuss the help available, and link you with services and resources to help you. Your carers may be entitled to an assessment of their own needs too.

Social Services provides a broad range of services for people with learning disabilities, with priority given to those with the greatest needs. Where possible we will offer you choices and help you choose the best options for your situation.

We work closely with Health Services and with other public, private, and voluntary agencies, and may suggest involving other agencies to ensure that your needs are met.

We will need to keep some records of our contacts with you, but these will be kept confidential. You have a legal right to see records kept about you.