Guidance and advice
The Building Control system exists to ensure buildings are properly designed and constructed. Buildings must ensure the health, safety and welfare of people using them and must also be convenient to use.
The Planning Portal has planning and building regulations guidance for many common building work projects for the home. You can also read case studies outlining people's real experience of tackling a number of the projects.
- Approved documents - notifiable work
- Dangerous structures
- Energy performance certificates
- Extending your home - a guide
- Recovery of costs for dealing with dangerous buildings and structures (PDF 129 kb)
- Site inspections
- Sprinkler systems (information from Cheshire Fire and Rescue)
- Unauthorised work