Cheshire West & Chester Council logo

Planning advice householders

On 1 October 2008 important changes to the rules allowing you to alter or extend your house were introduced. Please view the Planning Portal Interactive House for more information.

For further guidance see the Planning Portal. Here you can find out about Building Regulations, Trees, Hedgerows, Wildlife, Conservation Areas, Listed Buildings, Advertisements and Lawful Development Certificates.

Where to find help

The Council's Planning Service can be contacted during the normal office hours of 8.30am to 4.45pm Monday to Friday. In the first instance, please call us and ask for the relevant area's Duty Planning Officer:

The Council has also published free advice leaflets, which give further advice on a range of topics, including design guidance for occupiers of listed buildings and properties within a conservation area. To find out which publications are available from our office, including those produced by Communities and Local Government, please contact us.

The existing Local Plan for each area can also be inspected at the Council area offices during normal office hours.

Professional agents

The Council cannot recommend anyone to act on your behalf. However, it does recommend that you use a member of one of the professional associations listed below. Alternatively, examine the list of planning applications to find a local agent who submits applications for the type of work that you are considering.

List of professional bodies