What permission do I need
If you intend to start work on property or land that you own it's your responsibility to seek out the approvals, permissions and consents below. Please read each of these sections below to get an understanding of what you need to do.
- Household Planning Permission - You should check if the alterations you intend to carry out to your home require planning permission
- Building regulations approval - Building regulations apply to most building work, therefore it is important to know when approval is needed
- Listed Building Consent - special consent is required for any work on a listed building.
- Conservation Area Consent - special consent is required for work on properties in a conservation area.
- Tree Preservation Orders - You must check whether an order has been taken out to protect any tree your work might affect
- Common Projects - The Planning Portal lists common projects and the permission required for Planning and Building Control
- Other associated permissions - You may require additional permissions which relate to issues such as rights of way and party walls
Do I need permission?
Some extensions and alterations to your home can be carried out without requiring planning permission; this is known as permitted development.
For further information on whether you will need planning permission, please visit our Permitted development page.