Water Cycle Strategy
The Water Cycle Strategy for Cheshire West and Chester was developed in two stages: a Scoping Study and an Outline Study, both of which were prepared in accordance with the Environment Agency Water Cycle Studies guidance.
The Scoping Study collated and reviewed existing information on the water environment within the borough and identified key issues for the Outline stage. The Outline report builds on the findings of the Scoping Study and examines how water resources and water supply infrastructure, wastewater treatment, water quality, sewerage and flood risk could constrain growth across the study area.
The objectives for the Outline Water Cycle Strategy were to:
- Identify whether environmental resources can cope with further development, with particular reference to key water legislation (such as to Water Framework Directive targets) and latest climate change projections;
- Identify if, where, and when development might overload existing infrastructure, and if capacity exists for development without the need for additional infrastructure;
- Identify if, where, and when new infrastructure or management interventions are needed to allow development;
- Establish effective liaison with adjoining Growth Point areas to enable any potential cumulative impacts on the water environment to be identified;
- Identify any potential impacts of development on the nationally and internationally designated sites of nature conservation importance within and outside the West Cheshire area (e.g. Dee Estuary, the River Dee and Bala Lake), resulting from additional abstraction and wastewater discharge; and
- Contribute to the evidence base for Cheshire West and Chester Council’s Local Development Framework Core Strategy, the Infrastructure Plan and the Habitats Regulations Appropriate Assessment.
The Outline Water Cycle Strategy was completed in June 2010 and will be used as an evidence base document to inform the production of the Local Development Framework. To read the document click the links below.
- Water Cycle Strategy - Non Technical Appendix (PDF, 248KB)
- Water Cycle Strategy - Outline Study (Part 1) (PDF, 3.66MB)
- Water Cycle Strategy - Outline Study (Part 2) (PDF, 2.38MB)
- Water Cycle Strategy - Outline Study (Part 3) (PDF, 2.13MB)