Cheshire West & Chester Council logo

Trees woods and hedges

Normally trees are the responsibility of whoever owns or manages the land they are growing on.

Where to find help

Trees on private land

Trees and bushes growing on private land are the responsibility of the landowner, not the council. If a privately owned tree is causing a problem such as root growth damaging your building or vegetation overhanging into your property, please contact the landowner.

Although the council has no power in these matters, you do have certain rights under common law.

Council owned trees

To report a problem with a tree on a roadside verge, in a park or on other council-owned land in the borough, please use the links below.

If the tree is in the roadside verge, please contact:
Highways Team on 0300 123 7036.
Email: Highways

If the tree is on land belonging to a housing trust, association or the local authority, please contact your landlord.

If the tree is in a public park, please contact:
Greenspace Team on 0300 123 8123.

If it is an open space that is not part of the highway or an enclosed park or formal play area then please contact:
Streetscene on 0300 123 7026.

If the tree is in a Conservation Area or is protected by a Tree Preservation Order, please contact the Natural Environment Team on 0300 123 7027.

How do I find out if there's a TPO on a tree?

A Tree Preservation Order (TPO) is an order made by the Council to protect one or more trees or woodland if its removal would have a significant impact on the local environment and its enjoyment by the public.

You can check if there is a TPO using the following link.

To view the tree you are interested in as accurately as possible, please zoom in by double clicking on that location. You can also use the slider on the top left hand side of the map to zoom in and out.

Whilst we make every effort to ensure this information is as accurate as possible, if you think there is an error or some information is missing please let us know at the following email address:

For further information about the TPO process

Copies of Tree Preservation Orders are available at a cost of £25 each (includes the Legal Document, Map and Schedule).

If you would like to speak to a Tree Officer regarding a TPO, or would like to order a copy, they can be contacted on 0300 123 7027.

Works to trees

Any works to trees within a Conservation area or to trees covered by a Tree Preservation Order (TPO) requires consent under the Town and Country Planning Act (1990, and as amended).

It is an offence to cut down, top, lop, uproot, damage or destroy any protected tree(s) without first obtaining approval. If you wish to undertake felling or any form of pruning to any protected tree you need to complete and submit a tree works application form.

Once your proposals for tree works have been submitted, the council has a period of 6 weeks in which to consider those proposals in respect of trees in a conservations area, and 8 weeks in respect of trees subject to tree preservation orders or planning conditions.

Tree works in a conservation area

If you do not hear from the council within the six week time frame, your proposed tree works will have deemed consent.

If you would like to find out if your property is in a Conservation Area please view our online maps, under the Historic Environment Records category, which show all the Conservation Areas in the District.

Trees covered by TPOs

Once all of the above information has been provided to our satisfaction we will write to acknowledge receipt of your application and enclose a "proposed tree works notice". All applicants are required to display this notice on site for a period of 14 days. The purpose of the notice is to keep the general public informed of proposed tree works and allow the council to respond to any concerns or enquiries that may arise.

Trees overhanging boundaries

Your Common Law rights allow you to remove tree branches that cross over your boundary without the need to seek your neighbour's permission. Notifying your neighbour of your intentions is always advisable. However, you must not cross the boundary to remove branches and should not dispose of the branches or any other material from the tree over your fence into your neighbour's garden. Ask your neighbour if they wish to have the material returned to them. If they don't want it, it will be your responsibility to dispose of it.

If a tree is protected by a Tree Preservation Order, or is located within a conservation area, the Common Law right is removed and you will need to seek formal permission from us before undertaking work to the tree.


High hedges

Under the high hedges legislation, any person can complain to the council if their reasonable enjoyment of their property is adversely affected by a high hedge. This includes the blocking of light. A high hedge is defined as two or more evergreen or semi-evergreen trees or shrubs in a line, and at least two metres high.

If you are experiencing problems with a neighbour's high hedge, please view the links below.

Hedgerow regulations

For information on Hedgerow Regulations please view the link below.

Trees on development sites

Trees on development sites can be protected by Tree Preservation Orders (TPOs), or by planning conditions attached to the planning permission, or both.

Planning conditions may also require you to plant trees which may then be covered by TPOs. The Order takes effect once the trees are planted. Protection of the trees by planning condition lasts for 5 years from when the trees were planted. Any work done to those trees would require permission from the local planning authority.

A TPO does not prevent planning permission from being granted, but the planning officer will consider the risk to protected trees when deciding the planning application.

Additional information