Cheshire West & Chester Council logo

Fixed penalty notices

The council can issue fixed penalty notices for environmental crime.

Thay are applied for a range of offences, including:

They can also be issued for leaving bin bags out on the wrong collection day in certain areas of Chester.

If you receive a fixed penalty notice

Details of what offence is involved and how to pay can be found on the notice.

Some offences offer a reduced penalty if paid within seven working days. Again, this information is provided on the notice.

Fixed penalty notices are issued as an alternative to court. If you do not pay you may be prosecuted and fined.

How can I pay?

You can pay in person, over the phone or by post.

The Council accepts debit/credit cards, cheques and postal orders. We are unable to accept cash.

Full instructions appear on your fixed penalty notice.

Right of appeal

There is no right of appeal for these offences.

If you do not agree with the fine then you may put your case before the magistrates court.

Just follow the instructions on the summons you receive following non-payment of the fine.

Should you receive a summons you will have to attend a court to have your case heard. You will need to consider the following: