Allowances and expenses paid to Councillors
UK law provides for certain allowances and expenses to be paid to Councillors. What is paid and the amount payable is decided by each council.
In Cheshire West and Chester (2011/12) each Councillor is paid a basic allowance, unchanged from 2010/11.
This allowance recognises the time commitment of all Councillors, including attending meetings, attending member learning and development events, dealing with constituency matters, representing the Council on external bodies, and the use of their homes.
The rate of basic allowance for 2011/12 is £11,458 for each member.
In addition to this, some members are paid a Special Responsibility Allowance (SRA).
This is payable to those councillors who have significant responsibilities and can cover for example:
- Leader/Deputy Leader of the Council or a political group
- Executive membership
- Chairman of Council
- Chairman of Committees/Sub-Committees
- Member Champion
- Political Group Whips
The SRAs in 2011/12 range from £1,000 to £28,645.
In addition to this, Councillors are paid travelling and subsistence allowances.
Full details of the Council's policy are available in the Members' Allowance Scheme (PDF, 143KB)
Details of allowances paid to councillors
- View allowances paid to Councillors April to June 2013 (PDF, 174KB)
- View allowances paid to Councillors 2012-13 (PDF, 174KB)
- View allowances paid to Councillors April - September 2012 (PDF, 46KB)
- View allowances paid to Councillors April 2011 - March 2012 (PDF, 74KB)
- View allowances paid to Councillors April - December 2011 (PDF, 73.4KB)
- View allowances paid to Councillors April - September 2011 (PDF, 65.3KB)
- View allowances paid to Councillors April 2010 - March 2011 (PDF, 45.8KB)
- View allowances
paid to Councillors April - June 2011 (PDF, 40.6KB)
- View allowances paid to Councillors 2009 - 2010 (PDF, 48.8KB)
- View allowances paid to Councillors 2008 - 2009 (PDF, 162KB)
- View Civic Allowances 2011 - 2012 (PDF, 10.7KB)
- View Civic Allowances 2010 - 2011 (PDF, 6.66KB)
- View Civic Allowances 2009 - 2010 (PDF, 6.13KB)