Key statistics and data
About the borough
Cheshire West and Chester has a population of 329,500 and covers 350 square miles. The borough is located in the North West of England and includes the historic city of Chester and the industrial and market towns of Ellesmere Port, Frodsham, Helsby, Malpas, Neston, Northwich and Winsford. About a third of the population live in rural areas. According to the government’s ‘Indices of Deprivation’, the overall quality of life is good for many residents; however, there are places where some communities experience multiple disadvantages.
Our population has an ageing profile, with the number of residents aged over 65 expected to increase by over 50 per cent by 2029 and those over 85 will more than double.
Where to find help
The Research, Intelligence and Consultation Team provide a wide range of information. This information is mainly used to help fund, plan and re-shape local services to ensure they meet the needs of the local community. if you are unable to find the information you are looking for on this page, please contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Borough maps: interactive mapping of the borough
- Census 2011: the population of the borough on Census day, 27 March 2011 was 329,600 (2011 Census, Office for National Statistics © Crown Copyright 2012)
- Consultation and research findings: reports from consultation and research
- Council consultations: see what issues the Council is seeking views on
- Customer Insight: we use Experian's Mosaic UK to help us understand our residents' needs and target our resources as effectively as possible
- Local statistics (Doric online): statistics for the borough are available on a self-serve basis
- Older People's Network: a local voluntary organisation who make the views of older people known to the Council
- Population estimates: produced for the Area Partnership Boards, Unitary Wards, Parish and Town areas, Middle Super Output Areas and Lower Super Output Areas. Estimates for any geographical area within Cheshire West and Chester may be available on request
- Population forecasts: produced for the borough
- View West: our Citizens' Panel of 2,500 residents who assist with a range of research and consultation for the Council
- Ward profiles: for each of the 46 Unitary Wards