Skip to main content

Animal movement licence

To move certain types of livestock you will need an animal movement licence. You are required to complete and keep statutory records of all animal movements.

For advice and an application form please contact the Animal Health team.

Who deals with applications?

Applications for licences are made to the local authority in whose area the animal/s are situated.

Applications must be in writing, should detail the animals the application concerns and any other information required by the local authority.

We are responsible for the following things:

  • monitors animal movements by licence
  • checks movements and associated records on farms
  • monitors welfare standards of animals which are kept on farms, or are in transit or exposed for sale in livestock market.
  • investigates complaints relating to livestock movements or welfare issues

In addition carcasses of any animal found on agricultural premises has to be disposed of in compliance with strict rules.

We also have responsibility for formulating and deploying Rabies, Foot and Mouth and Avian Flu precautions through Contingency Plans. This work is undertaken in partnership with other agencies including Defra and the Health Protection Agency, so as to ensure that comprehensive controls are in place to prevent the introduction of and control the spread of animal health diseases in the region.

Am I eligible for a licence?

The applicant must be the owner of the animals or their agent.

Regulation summary

For more information visit the Gov.UK website. 

What happens next?

You can expect to be contacted by the Team within 14 days of receipt.

Will tacit consent apply

No. For Animal Health reasons it is important that controls are in place at all times.

What if my application fails?

You are advised to take up any issue with us first by emailing

Licence holder redress

You are advised to take up any issue with us first by emailing

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, further information about making a complaint, can be found on the information for consumers page of this website.

Share this page

Terms and conditions Privacy policy Cookies Contact                      

We use cookies

Cheshire West and Chester Council use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on our website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time.