Skip to main content

Cooling tower notification

In partnership with EUGO Logo [external link]

Licence summary 

If you control non-domestic premises you must ensure that you notify the council, or in Scotland, the island or district council of any cooling tower or evaporative condenser (notifiable devices) on the premises.

Notification must be in writing (including by electronic means) on a form approved by the Health and Safety Executive.

You must notify the council of any changes to the notification information within one month of the change, in writing. If the device ceases to be a notifiable device you must notify us in writing as soon as possible.

Where to find help

Apply online 

You can apply online for the following on the Gov.UK website.

General enquiries

  • Email:
  • Telephone: 0300 1237038
  • By post: Regulatory Services, Cheshire West and Chester Borough Council,
    First Floor, The Forum, Northgate Street, Chester, CH1 2HS

Eligibility criteria 

No provision in legislation

Regulation summary 

Application evaluation process 

No provision in legislation

Will tacit consent apply

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us by the end of the target completion period

Target completion

You will receive confirmation that your installation/s have been registered within 14 days of receipt of your application.

Failed application redress 

Please contact Cheshire West and Chester Council in the first instance.

Licence holder redress 

Please contact Cheshire West and Chester Council in the first instance.

Consumer complaint 

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, further information about making a complaint can be found on the Information for Consumers page of this website. 

Public register or database

Trade associations 


Share this page

Terms and conditions Privacy policy Cookies Contact                      

We use cookies

Cheshire West and Chester Council use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on our website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time.