Skip to main content

Petroleum licence

Licence summary

In partnership with EUGO LogoTo run a business where petrol is stored for dispensing directly into the fuel tank of an internal combustion engine or where large amounts of petrol are stored for private use, you need a licence from your local petroleum licensing authority. 

Applications for areas in Greater London or a metropolitan county must be made to the local fire and rescue authority. In all other instances applications should be made to the local county or county borough council.

Fees will be payable for a licence and conditions may be attached to a licence.

Where to find help

Apply online

Eligibility criteria

No provision in legislation 

Application evaluation process

Once your application is received, a licensing officer will contact you to make arrangements to carry out an inspection of your premises.

Will tacit consent apply

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact it. 

Target completion

You can expect to be contacted by a Petroleum Officer within 14 days of receipt of your application.  We would normally expect to let you know our decision on your application within six weeks of receipt.

Failed application redress

Please contact Cheshire West and Chester Council in the first instance.

If an application is refused the applicant may appeal to the Secretary of State.

Licence holder redress

Please contact Cheshire West and Chester Council in the first instance.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, further information about making a complaint can be found on the Information for Consumers page of this website. 

Trade associations

Terms and conditions Privacy policy Cookies Contact