Skip to main content

Ashton Hayes telephone and Broadband advice

We are aware that a number of residents and businesses within the Ashton Hayes area may be experiencing problems with their telephone and broadband connections.

The Regulatory Services Team at Cheshire West and Chester Council and Ashton Hayes Parish Council want to assist local residents  to make sure that they  register their complaints and  seek any solutions to the problems in the  most effective way possible.

OFCOM is the regulating body which works to ensure that  everyone gets the best from their communications and their role is to look at how issues affect UK Consumer as a whole.  OFCOM will register your complaint but they will not handle individual disputes or complaints.  There is no route by which complaints can be logged on behalf of a community even if the problems relate to a specific geographical area.

It is the service provider — not the network provider who has the responsibility to each individual customer.

In order to claim compensation for any lack of phone or broadband and to make sure that the issues are addressed, each individual will need to log a complaint with their own service provider.  This is the case even when it is clear that the problem is actually caused by part of the communications network rather than the individual provider.

Openreach is now subject to minimum performance standards set by OFCOM. These requirements came into force on 1 July 2014 and mean the large majority of telephone or broadband faults must be repaired within two working days.   You may be entitled to some form of compensation if your fault is not repaired in line with these standards. However, you will need to check the specific fault repair and consumer redress policies of your retail provider. If in doubt, you should ask your provider for further information.

How do I complain

To get help follow these steps: 

  • Contact your service provider's customer services and make a formal complaint to the company — You should find details of how to do this on the back of your bill, on their website or ask their customer services.
  • If your service relies on BT's network, your service provider will report faults to Openreach, the division of BT which installs and maintains telephone and broadband connections. Your provider will be responsible for ensuring that Openreach rectify any faults. 
  • If your provider is unable to resolve your complaint, ask for a deadlock letter. This enables you to take your complaint to an Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) scheme.
  • If either have passed since you complained formally you can contact the ADR scheme direct

What is ADR

  • ADRs act as an independent middleman and will examine the case from both sides and reach a decision they think fair.  All Service Providers must give access to an Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) scheme.
  • There are two ADR schemes available to service providers in the communications area—Ombudsman Services Communications and the Communications and Internet Services Adjudication Scheme.
  • ADR is provided free of charge and your service provider will tell you which scheme to contact.
  • ADR may require the company to:- apologise / explain what went wrong / put the problem right / provide compensation up to £10,000


Share this page

Terms and conditions Privacy policy Cookies Contact                      

We use cookies

Cheshire West and Chester Council use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on our website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time.