Changes to the funeral service
From Monday, 19 July the legal restrictions applicable to funerals taking place in England in response to COVID-19 will end. However, as COVID infection rates are high in the North West and are continuing to rise we will continue to be responsible and take steps to limit the risk we all still face.
Families have two options for funeral services in Chester Crematorium chapel based on whether they wish to maintain social distancing or not.
- Option A - Where the family wish to maintain social distancing the funeral party should be no larger than 33 people. This allows for all individuals to maintain a 2m social distance. 2m spacings are indicated on the pews
- Option B - Where the family do not wish to maintain social distancing the maximum funeral party size that can be accommodated at the crematorium is 90 people
If you are unsure about the arrangements for the funeral you plan to attend please contact the Funeral Director or person arranging the funeral.
- Nobody should attend a service who has had any of the three COVID-19 symptoms - a new continuous cough, a high temperature or a loss of, or change in their normal sense of taste or smell - in the past 10 days.
- Cemeteries and Crematorium team members will maintain a 2m social distance from the funeral party
- Face coverings are no longer a legal requirement but the funeral party are encouraged to wear coverings
- Visitors should remain outside until it is time to enter chapel for the funeral service
- Please sanitise your hands including when arriving and leaving a funeral service. Hand sanitiser is available in the crematorium chapel
- Cremated remains will be collected from the crematorium by funeral directors rather than by family members.
- For outdoor services the funeral party should maintain a 2m distance from members of the cemetery and crematorium team
Pre-registration for funerals at Blacon crematorium