Skip to main content

Complaints about adult social care

Comments and compliments

If you receive a service from us, we welcome your comments about your experience – good or bad. Customer feedback is extremely valuable in developing our services.  It may be that you would like to pay a compliment about the service as a whole or about a member of staff in particular.

Even though we do our best to provide excellent services, there can be times when things go wrong or you become unhappy with the service you receive.  If this happens, please let us know as soon as possible so that we can try to put things right.

How to contact us to make a comment, compliment or complaint

You can tell us about your experience and make a comment, compliment or complaint below.

Complete the feedback form

  • Tell the person who provides you with the service
  • Contact the manager of the service
  • Email:
  • By post: Customer Relations Team, Cheshire West and Chester Council, 4 Civic Way, Ellesmere Port, CH65 0BE
  • Telephone: 0300 1238123 

Complaints that can be resolved within one working day

Resolving problems informally is usually the quickest way.  Please speak first to the person who provides you with the service or their manager.  Alternatively, you may wish to contact the Complaints Manager using the contact details above.  We will decide with you whether we can sort the problem out by no later than the end of the following working day.  If we cannot, and if you agree, we will register a formal complaint within the Adult Social Care complaints process.

Formal complaints

If you wish to make a complaint, please be reassured that;

  • It will be treated in confidence;
  • We can help you with making your complaint;
  • Your right to a service will not be affected because you have made a complaint;
  • You will not be discriminated against if you have made a complaint.

Who can complain

Anyone who receives a service, or who has been refused a service from Adult Social Care and Health can make a complaint.  A carer, friend, relative or advocate can also complain on their behalf.  If you make a complaint on behalf of another person, please obtain their agreement for you to make the complaint.

Complaints and compliments previously received

Details of compliments and complaints received during 2017/2018 can be found in:

Previous annual reports can be found on our Statutory Social Care Complaint Reports webpage.

Adults Social Care Services in Cheshire West and Chester provides a wide range of social care services to thousands of adults.  We want to know what you think about our services - good and bad - so that we can improve them.

One approach to handling Health and Social Care complaints

There is now one complaints process for all Health and Local Authority Adult Social Care services in England, making it easier to make a complaint. Complaints which include both health and social care elements will be co-ordinated by just one of the organisations to which the complaint relates.  This will ensure that complaints are resolved quickly and more effectively across the Health and Social Care system.  This will result in a more personal and effective response to people who are dissatisfied with their experience of Health and Social Care services. For complaints relating to health only please visit:

The Adult Social Care and Health Directorate provides services to thousands of people across the borough.  We aim to ensure that the services we provide meet the very best standards.  Customer feedback is extremely valuable in developing our services. We want to know what you think about our services so that we can learn from your experience and make improvements where necessary, but we also want to identify what we are doing well.

What can you complain about?

You can complain about any aspect of the service provided to you – about its quality or reliability, about the way you have been treated, or about the decisions that have been taken by our staff.


Please be aware that complaints must be made within 12 months of occurrence, or from the date that the matter came to your notice.  We do have the discretion to accept complaints beyond this timescale if there are good reasons and if it remains possible to investigate the complaint effectively and fairly. We will seek to resolve your complaint as soon as possible and within a timescale agreed with you, within a six month time limit.

Handling of formal complaints

If your complaint cannot be resolved by the end of the following working day, a formal complaint will be logged and we will:

  • Acknowledge your complaint - We will tell you who the lead manager dealing with your complaint will be and how soon you will hear from them.  We will offer to speak to, or meet with you to discuss how your complaint will be handled.
  • Assess your complaint - We will assess the complexity and severity of your complaint and discuss with you the best resolution and what outcome you are seeking.  We will agree with you the timescale in which the investigation is likely to be completed and when you will receive our response. 
  • Resolve your complaint - Our aim is to resolve a complaint as quickly and effectively as possible.

We will consider what can be done to remedy the problems you have experienced,
such as:

  • Apologise if we have done something wrong or upset you;
  • Give an explanation for why we have done what we have done;
  • Make a change of care plan or service.


You will receive a final response to your complaint which will set out the details of the complaint, how it was considered, conclusions reached, actions taken to resolve the complaint and any actions to be taken to improve service quality in consequence of the complaint. 

The Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman

Complainants may wish to contact the Ombudsman if they remain dissatisfied with the final response

  • Visit:
  • Telephone: 0300 061 0614 
  • By post: Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman, P.O. Box 4771, Coventry CV4 0EH
  • Text ‘call back’ on 07624811595

Other useful contacts

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman

Care Quality Commission

  • Email:
  • Telephone: 03000 616161
  • Post: CQC National Customer Service Centre, Citygate, Gallowgate, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 4PA    

Cheshire Independent Advocacy Services

Age Concern Cheshire

Cheshire Centre for Independent Living (CCIL)

Mental health: Citizens Advice Cheshire West

Mental health: Learning Disability Dual Diagnosis Chester and Ellesmere Port Independent Advocacy (CEPIA)

  • By post: The Advocacy Office, Bowmere Hospital, Liverpool Road, Chester CH2 1BQ

Learning Disability: Independent Advocacy Cheshire

  • Email:
  • Telephone: 01606 42688
  • By post: Unit 8, Theatre Court, London Road, Northwich CW9 5HB

Your Councillor

You can also contact your local councillor.

Share this page

Terms and conditions Privacy policy Cookies Contact                      

We use cookies

Cheshire West and Chester Council use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on our website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time.