Skip to main content

Claiming Council Tax Reduction

Council Tax Reduction is aimed at helping those on low incomes by covering part or all of a Council Tax bill. 

If you think you might qualify for Council Tax Reduction please click on the following link to calculate and make a claim.

Calculate and make a claim for Council Tax Reduction and Housing Benefit

Please note:

If you are reporting a Council Tax change in circumstance and you are not trying to make a council tax reduction claim, please visit the page below.

Before you apply

You may be entitled to claim if you are the person responsible for paying the Council Tax at your property, and resident at that property.

How much of a reduction you receive will depend on your income and circumstances.

You can apply for Council Tax Reduction whether you are working or unemployed.

There are restrictions

You cannot claim Council Tax Reduction if:

  • You are a full time student or;
  • You (and your partner, if you have one), have more than £6,000 in savings and you are of working age or;
  • You have £16,000 in savings and you are of pension age

But there are some exceptions to these restrictions.

There is no fixed savings limit for customers in receipt of Guarantee Pension Credit. For more information contact the Pension Service on 0800 731 7898.

Council Tax Reduction evaluation

How much of a reduction you may get will depend on the rent or council tax you pay, the people who live with you, income and savings, and the needs of your family.

You can find out more about all the factors and circumstances that are considered:

Other help with paying Council Tax

Pension age customers can also claim Second Adult Rebate.

Council tax reduction scheme 2017/2018

Share this page

We use cookies

Cheshire West and Chester Council use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on our website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time.