Skip to main content

Change in circumstances

The law says you must tell us if there is any change to the information we have used to decide whether you are entitled to Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction (or both). You should tell us immediately, in writing, of any changes in your circumstances.

Advise us of a change in circumstances

Tell us about changes straight away, even if you're still waiting to hear from us about your claim, and even if you've already told someone else like the Department for Work and Pensions or your landlord.

What changes do I need to tell you about?

  • Changes to benefits, such as Job Seeker Allowance, Income Support, Employment and Support Allowance, Universal Credit, any other benefits
  • Changes to persons resident in your address, such as anyone moves in with you or moves out, new baby.
  • Any changes in income for you or anyone living with you, such as earnings, Tax Credits, pensions, any other income.  You should tell us whether the income starts, stops, goes up or down.
  • Changes to bank accounts, savings and investments, such as changes to the amounts held in your bank accounts, savings, stocks, shares and investments.
  • You also need to tell us if you move, live away from home, become a student or finish a course, go in to hospital, go in to prison, a child leaves education, you stop getting Child Benefit, your rent goes up or down.

This is not a full list and if you are unsure if you need to inform us of a change please contact us and we can inform you of how your change may affect your entitlement.

How do I tell you about a change?

To report a change, complete the form at the top of this page. 


If we find we've paid you too much benefit/reduction, we have to tell you what the right amount is and how much we have overpaid you. A decision will be made whether to ask you to pay it back or what we are going to do about it.

Disputes and appeals

If you don't agree with our decision, you can ask us to look at it again. Our letters tell you what your rights are. Please see:

Share this page

We use cookies

Cheshire West and Chester Council use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on our website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time.