Skip to main content

Who can claim Housing Benefit

Making a claim for Housing Benefit


Housing Benefit helps pay your rent if you are a tenant on a low income.  It’s not available for mortgage repayments.

You can claim housing benefit if you are a council tenant, private tenant, housing association tenant, sub-tenant or lodger.

You could get Housing Benefit to help you pay your rent if you’re on a low income.  Housing Benefit can pay for part or all of your rent. How much you get depends on your income and circumstances (note that you cannot claim Housing Benefit if you are in receipt of Universal Credit – your housing costs will be considered as part of your Universal Credit award).

You can apply for Housing Benefit whether you’re unemployed or working.

You cannot get housing benefit if:

  • you or your partner have joint savings and investments of more than £16,000
  • you pay rent to a close relative who lives in the same home as you
  • you own the place where you live

You usually need to have savings or capital of less than £16,000 (unless you or your partner have reached the qualifying age for State Pension Credit, and one of you gets the guaranteed part of that credit).

How much you get depends on:

  • the rent or council tax you pay
  • the people who live with you
  • the needs of your family
  • your income
  • your savings 

Share this page

We use cookies

Cheshire West and Chester Council use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on our website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time.