Skip to main content

Building regulation approval

Planning permission and building regulation approval are two separate things. In  simple terms planning can be thought of as how the appearance and size of a proposed building or extension will fit in with the  surrounding area, whilst building regulations are concerned with checking how the building work is designed and physically constructed on site.

It is important to understand that in general, it is the owner of the building who is legally responsible for ensuring that the work carried out on their property is compliant with the building regulations. The Cheshire West building consultancy team is here to help home owners, their designers and builders achieve compliance with the regulations by providing sensible, practical and helpful advice and guidance. The Council's building consultancy service is impartial and totally independent and will always act in your best interests as the homeowner.

Where to find help

If you have any general questions about building regulations or want to apply for approval, please contact us on the number below and we will be happy to help you. Cheshire West building consultancy operate a duty officer system between 1pm and 5pm Monday to Friday  for anybody who has any questions about the building regulations or the building regulation process.

What is building work

The following list contains the most common types of project that may require building control permission. Please note that this is not a complete list of works that require permission.

  • Structural alterations to the building
  • The erection or extension of a building
  • The conversion of a loft or garage
  • Replacement windows when the work is carried out by a company which is not a member of a relevant competent persons scheme.
  • Electrical works within a dwelling
  • The recovering of a roof
  • The rendering of external walls or the renovation of any other thermal element such as a ground floor or the removal and re-plastering of external walls where more than 25% of the original plaster is being removed
  • The underpinning of the foundations of a building
  • Changing the use of a building, for instance, converting a barn into a dwelling, converting a shop into flats, converting an office into a dwelling or creating a house in multiple occupation (HMO)

If you are unsure or have any doubt about whether your project needs building control consent please contact us.

Book a site inspection

During the course of your building work, our surveyors will carry out various inspections at key stages of the work to ensure that your property is being built in accordance with the building regulations.

Further information

Further information about building regulations approval and your responsibility as a member of the public are available on the  Planning Portal website.

Share this page

Terms and conditions Privacy policy Cookies Contact                      

We use cookies

Cheshire West and Chester Council use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on our website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time.