A51 Tarvin to Cheshire improvement scheme
The project seeks to deliver a series of major junction and roundabout improvements that will see:
- Additional lanes at the Stamford Bridge traffic lights, the widening of the existing bridge over the River Gowy and capacity improvements at Tarvin roundabout.
- Changes to the road layout, widening, lane markings, restricting traffic movements at Hare Lane/Littleton Lane and better signage.
- New crossing points and improved facilities for pedestrians, cyclists and bus users are also planned.
The project is expected to improve travel times and increase resilience and reliability of the highway network in the area. This indirectly supports regeneration and inward investment of the neighbouring areas, such as Chester Northgate and Chester Business Quarter.
It is expected to improve air quality through better movement of traffic. This will benefit people’s health and the environment, while reducing the number of accidents on this stretch of road.
We have planned two drop in public exhibition events in September 2019. This will allow us to work with residents, businesses and landowners in the area. We will showcase the designs, outline existing issues, scheme objectives and highlight the wider benefits. We are also there to answer any of your questions. The locations and dates for the public exhibitions are below:
Chester Rugby Union Football Club, Hare Lane, Littleton, Chester, Cheshire, CH3 7DB
- 3 September 2019 available between 10am and 4.45pm
Stamford Bridge Inn, Tarvin Road, Chester, CH3 7HN
- 4 September 2019 available between 11am and 7pm
Funding for the £7.029 million scheme is currently being finalised and will involve the following:
- funding secured from the Cheshire and Warrington Local Enterprise Partnership’s Local Growth Fund £3.67m
- £3.359m investment from ourselves.
The scheme has a high value for money rating. This suggests for each pound of transport expenditure on the scheme £2.30 of benefit to public value will be generated.
Additional investment at the A51/A55 roundabout junction has been committed by Highways England for the detailed design of this busy junction to improve capacity. The scheme will seek funding for construction during the next round of competitive Road Investment Strategy funding by Highways England. This will ensure the two schemes are complimentary and improve journey time by reducing congestion.
Mott MacDonald consultancy were appointed to produce the business case development and detailed design drawings. Balfour Beatty has been appointed by us to construct the proposed scheme, with scheme construction scheduled to start from summer 2020 and completion in spring 2021.
Copies of the proposed plans and public exhibition boards and Full Business Case documentation can be found below: