Skip to main content

Disabled parking permits (Blue Badge)

The Blue Badge Scheme is a national parking scheme for drivers, passengers or children with severe mobility problems or those registered as blind.  Badge holders can park closer to their destination for free.

Check your eligibility

You are automatically eligible if you:

  • are severely sight impaired or blind
  • receive the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • receive Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and have scored 8 points or more in the ‘moving around’ area of your assessment
  • receive the War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement 
  • have received a lump sum benefit as part of the Armed Forces Compensation scheme (tariffs 1 to 8), and have been certified as having a permanent and substantial disability
  • have been diagnosed as having terminal cancer

You may be eligible if you:

  • drive a vehicle regularly, have a severe disability in both arms and are unable to operate, or have considerable difficulty operating, all or some types of parking meter
  • have a permanent and substantial disability which means you cannot walk or find walking very difficult
  • have children under the age of three, who have a disability due to a medical condition and need to travel with bulky equipment or be close to a vehicle for emergency medical treatment
  • represent an organisation which cares for people with disabilities who meet one of the criteria listed above

You will need to provide supporting evidence or attend an assessment. We will accept the folllowing evidence:

  • passport
  • driving licence
  • birth certificate
  • utility bill dated within the last six months
  • proof of disability (award letters from benefit agencies)

Costs and refunds

There is a £10 fee for producing a blue badge which applies to all applications and renewals. If you are eligible, badges are normally issued for a period of three years.

Refunds cannot be issued once the badge has been produced.

Apply or renew

You can renew your blue badge online.

You can also apply for a new badge online.

What if I have moved address

If you have moved address you need to put it in writing and send it in to the Blue Badge team along with proof of this such as a utility bill. This can also be scanned and emailed to: 

If you have moved address to another Council once your card has expired you need to apply for a new badge to your new local authority.

Scam warning

We have been made aware of certain Blue Badge application schemes charging over £10 to customers and the application appearing nonexistent. These scam schemes are not connected to any national or local authority Blue Badge scheme. 

Share this page

We use cookies

Cheshire West and Chester Council use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on our website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time.