Skip to main content

Skip licences


Do you need to apply for a licence?

If you need to put skip on a footpath, road or verge we maintain you'll need a licence.  It's the responsibility of the company providing the skip to apply for and obtain a licence.

How much does a licence cost?

A skip licence costs £34 and lasts for up to one month after the date it starts. The skip company will also need third party insurance.

How to apply

You can email your area highways team for an application pack. For Chester, Ellesmere Port and Neston,, for Winsford and Northwich 

There is no predefined eligibility criteria, but we may set conditions on the skip including

  • Where the skip is placed
  • The size and shape of the skip
  • Making the skip visible to traffic
  • Disposal of the skips contents
  • Lighting and guarding the skip
  • Removal of the skip

How to request an extension

If you need to extend your skip licence you'll need to contact us before your current licence runs out. There is an extra cost of £34 for an extension of the licence.

Skip permits fall under the Highways Act 1980.  Full details of the act can be found on the Governments legislation website.


Share this page

We use cookies

Cheshire West and Chester Council use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on our website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time.