Outcomes, key actions, and our principles
In order to achieve this vision and minimise the harm from alcohol in Cheshire West and Chester, the strategy will seek to deliver three interlinked outcomes:
- The population of Cheshire West and Chester lives free from health harms caused by alcohol
- Local people and communities live without crime and antisocial behaviour caused by alcohol
- Promotion of a diverse, vibrant and safe night-time economy.
- Increase awareness of alcohol-related harms across the life course and establish safe drinking as the norm. Linked to Outcomes 1 and 2.
- Identify and support individuals drinking above recommended guidelines. Linked to Outcome 1.
- Ensure individuals identified as having an alcohol misuse problem can access effective alcohol treatment services and recovery support. Linked to Outcome 1.
- Reduce levels of alcohol-related crime and disorder. Linked to Outcome 2.
- Reduce levels of alcohol-related Ambulance callouts and Accident and Emergency (A & E) Department attendances. Linked to Outcomes 2and 3.
- Prevent alcohol-related domestic abuse. Linked to Outcome 2.
- Ensure the local licensing policy and enforcement activity supports the alcohol misuse harm reduction agenda. Linked to Outcomes 1, 2 and 3.
- Promote a diverse and vibrant night time economy. Linked to Outcome 3.
- Work to influence government policy and initiatives around alcohol-related harm: 50p minimum unit price for alcohol, restrictions of all alcohol marketing, public health as a fifth licensing objective and reduce the alcohol limit for drivers. Linked to Outcomes 1, 2, and 3.
We have also identified seven ways of working that will underpin our action plans and work streams:
- Outcome focused
- Working in partnership
- Reducing inequalities
- Protecting the vulnerable
- Promoting evidence based practice
- Improving effectiveness and cost effectiveness (value for money).