Skip to main content

Rate relief

If you pay business rates, you may be eligible for rate relief. There are several rate relief schemes available.  This page lists the schemes and how to apply.

Where to find help

Who is eligible for rate relief

Charities and non profit making organisations are eligible for rate relief.

Retail, hospitality and leisure relief 2022/2023

From 1 April 2022 the government will provide 50% retail, hospitality and leisure relief to occupied eligible properties in England up to a cash cap limit of £110,000 per business (together with any other business in the same group).

The relief will be applied for the 2022/23 financial year only. Details of types of properties that are eligible for the relief can be found on GOV.UK.

The Retail, Hospitality and Leisure Relief Scheme is also subject to the Small Amounts of Financial Assistance limit of £343,000 over three years (including 2022/23).

Extended Retail Discounts granted in 2020/2021 or 2021/2022 do not count towards the limit. Covid business grants received from local government and any other subsidy claimed under the Small Amounts of Financial Assistance limit over the three year period are included.

In most cases 2022/2023 bills will include the relief. All businesses will be asked to check their eligibility to this relief and to notify us if they either are in breach of the cash cap or have received more than the Small Amounts of Financial Assistance limit of £343,000 over three years (including 2022/23).

If you wish to opt out from this relief or make an application then email

Sporting organisations and community amateur sports clubs

A rate relief application form is available from the business rates office.

Other types of rate relief

Rural rate relief

The Rural Settlement List is used as the basis for granting rural rate relief to certain businesses situated in rural areas. The types of business that benefit from the relief are general stores, Post Offices, Public Houses, food shops and petrol filling stations. Other rural businesses may also qualify. The Council has reviewed the contents of its Rural Settlement List and is making alterations to the List to take effect from 1 April 2016.

Relief for a part occupied property

Applications must be made in writing to the business rates office. Relief would primarily be considered only for ratepayers who have difficulty in occupying or vacating premises at one time and have to do so over a phased period. Relief can only be awarded for a short period.

Hardship relief

Applications must be made in writing to the business rates office (see 'where to find help' at the top of this page). The council can only grant hardship relief if it is satisfied that the ratepayer would sustain hardship if the authority did not do so and it would be reasonable to do so, having regard to the interests of people subject to Council Tax.

Business rates mandatory and discretionary relief policy

For further information on business rates relief please refer to the Business Rates Mandatory and Discretionary Rate Relief Policy.

Small business rates relief scheme

If you occupy only one business premises in England and the rateable value is up to £12,000 you are eligible for rate relief.

What amount of relief is available

  • if the property you occupy has a rateable value of up to £12,000 you will qualify for 100% relief
  • if the property has a rateable value between £12,001 and £14,999 you will receive relief on a sliding scale
  • businesses now able to take one an additional property and retain SBRR on their first property for 12 months


Terms and conditions Privacy policy Cookies Contact