House in multiple occupation
If you rent out a property for house in multiple occupation (HMO), you may require a licence from your local authority.
You can apply for or change a licence for a house in multiple occupation on the Gov.UK website.
- Apply to licence a house in multiple occupation
- Apply to change a licence for a house in multiple occupation
To issue a new eligibility criteria
- applications must be made to us
- you must be a fit and proper person to hold the licence
Information about fees can be found on our licensing fees page.
Application evaluation process
Licences will be granted if:
- the house is or can be made suitable for multiple occupation
- the applicant is a fit and proper person and the most appropriate person to hold the licence
- the proposed manager has control of the house, and is a fit and proper person to be the manager
- the management arrangements are satisfactory
Will tacit consent apply
Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period
Completed applications will be processed within eight weeks of submission.
Failed application redress
Please contact us in the first instance. You may appeal to a residential property tribunal. Any appeal must be made within 28 days of the decision being made.
Licence holder redress
Please contact us in the first instance. You may appeal to a residential property tribunal regarding conditions attached to a licence or any decision to vary or revoke a licence. Any appeal must be made within 28 days of the decision being made.
If a licence is granted and you wish to appeal against it being granted you may do so to a residential property tribunal within 28 days of the decision being made.
Noise and pollution complaints should be addressed to the Consumer Protection and Investigations Team
- Telephone: 0300 123 7038
- Email: email@example.com
Public register or database
A hard copy is available at Private Sector Housing, Cheshire West and Chester B C, The Portal, Wellington Road, Ellesmere Port, CH65 0BA