Skip to main content

Skin piercing licence

In partnership with EUGO Logo

Licence summary 

To offer skin-piercing treatments - including tattooing, acupuncture, ear and body piercing - both the person performing the treatment and the premises must be registered with the local authority under Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982. In some areas you may need a licence from the council. A list of registered skin piercing premises can be found on this website.

Where to find help

Apply online 

You can aply for a licence or apply to change a licence on the Gov.UK website.

General enquiries

  • Telephone: 0300 123 7 038.
  • Email:
    By post: Health and Safety Team, Regulatory Services, Cheshire West and Chester Council, Ist Floor, East Wing, Wyvern House, The Drumber, Winsford, CW7 1AH

Eligibility criteria 

Applications must include any information required by the council.

Licence fees

  • Tattooist premises - £209
  • Cosmetic piercing/electrolysis premises - £169
  • Tattooist individual - £139
  • Cosmetic piercing/electrolysis individual - £127

Regulation summary 

Application evaluation process 

No provision in legislation.

Will tacit consent apply

No. It is in the public interest that the council must process your application before it can be granted. Please contact us if you do not hear from us within a reasonable period.

Target completion

You can expect to be contacted by the Council within 14 days of receipt of your application.  We would normally expect to let you know our decision on your application within 30 days of receipt.

Failed application redress 

Please contact Cheshire West and Chester Council in the first instance.

Licence holder redress 

Please contact Cheshire West and Chester Council in the first instance.

Consumer complaint 

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, further information about making a complaint, can be found on the Information for Consumers page of this website. 

Public register or database

The register of premises may be viewed by making an appointment through the office as detailed above

Trade associations 

Share this page

Terms and conditions Privacy policy Cookies Contact                      

We use cookies

Cheshire West and Chester Council use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on our website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time.