Apply to become a private hire operator or renew an existing operator's licence
All private hire vehicles must work for a licensed private hire operator. The operator will be responsible for taking the bookings and allocating work to licensed drivers. Licences are only valid for five years. We will only issue a private hire operator's licence to businesses that have premises in the borough. There are no restrictions for the number of vehicles.
Before you apply
You need to meet the following requirements:
- demonstrate you have premises within the borough and permission to use it as a private hire operators office
- all individuals, partners and directors with an interest in the business will be asked to present a valid basic DBS certificate
- have a written complaints procedure
- private hire vehicle licence - £242
- dual hackney carriage and private hire drivers licence (three years) - £180
Private hire operators licence (five years)
|Number of vehicles||Cost|
|2 - 5 vehicles||£450|
|6 - 29 vehicles||£620|
|30 - 39 vehicles||£650|
|40 - 49 vehicles||£770|
|50 - 59 vehicles||£920|
|60 - 69 vehicles||£1070|
|70 - 79 vehicles||£1220|
|80 - 89 vehicles||£1370|
|90 - 99 vehicles||£1520|
|100 - 149 vehicles||£1720|
|150 - 199 vehicles||£1920|
|200 - 249 vehicles||£2120|
|250 - 299 vehicles||£2320|
|300 - 349 vehicles||£2520|
|Each additional 50 vehicles thereafter||£200|
How long will it take?
We aim to process your application within 10 working days, subject to receipt of a valid application, payment and supporting evidence including a DBS certificate.
How to apply
If you have not already done so, you will need to register for an account.
When making your application you must ensure that all the data entered is correct, if data is entered incorrectly the application will be rejected and will need to be resubmitted.