Northwich Outdoor Market
Updated 6.55pm 3 January 2020
- A fire has occurred at the outdoor market
- The indoor market will be open as usual
- Traders are being supported and relocated into the indoor market
- The Fire Service and the Council remain on the scene to make the site safe
The Council continues to work with Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service to ensure the area is safe and site is secure. This will involve demolishing part of the building to enable firefighters to gain access and damp down the area.
Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service incident page
The Council is doing all it can to support the traders. A meeting with market traders took place on 3 January.
The outdoor market traders will be able to trade from Northwich Indoor Market, adjacent to the outdoor market.
Two traders will be able to open in the indoor market from Saturday, 4 January, with more joining them the following week.
The indoor market is open as usual so please come along and support the traders.
Changes to bus stops
- 1 - picking up at Hayhurst Bridge
- 2 - picking up outside the Police Station
- 4 - picking up outside Memorial Hall
- 29,31,37 (Winsford Services) will pick up from outside Waitrose.
Warrington's Owns Buses
- Pick up from stands A or B at Watling Street.
D & G buses
- 82 to Chester - picking up from Memorial Court
- 89 to Altrincham – picking up from the Police Station
The Council is responding to the fire that has occurred at the outdoor market in Northwich and is liaising with the fire service .
Councillor Richard Beacham, Cabinet Member for Housing, Regeneration and Growth, said: "We are grateful that there has been no loss of life from the fire at Northwich outdoor market.
"Emergency services are in the process of dealing with this incident and it is obviously having an impact on the market traders and nearby businesses, whose welfare is our main concern.
"We understand the impact the incident will have on traders, and we will be working with them and the implications across the course of today.
"The Council is also working with other agencies to ensure public safety."
Local businesses are advised to keep windows and doors shut.
Further information will be shared through the Council and the Cheshire Fire and Rescue social media throughout the day.