Click4Assistance UK Live Chat Software
Skip to main content

Universal Credit migration

Universal Credit is a single monthly payment to help with your living costs and provides support if you are working and on a low income, looking for work or unable to work.

The following benefits and tax credits are ending and being replaced by Universal Credit, under a single monthly payment:

  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

From April 2024, the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) is writing to some people who receive these benefits to let them know that they need to claim Universal Credit instead.

This letter - called a Migration Notice – explains what you need to do and when. It also provides information on the help available to continue receiving support from the government.

You will migrate based upon the type and combination of benefits that you receive, based upon the below timetable

Migration timetable


April 2024 to June 2024

Any Claimant receiving Income Support

April 2024 to June 2024

Any Claimant who receives both Housing Benefit and Tax Credits only

June 2024 to August 2024

Any Claimant receiving Housing Benefit only

July 2024 to September 2024

Any Claimant receiving ESA (income related) and Child Tax Credit only, or both of these and Housing Benefit

August 2024 to September 2024

Any Claimants who are Pension Age receiving Tax Credits Including Mixed Age Couples)

September 2024.

Any Claimant receiving Job Seekers Allowance, and either/both of Housing Benefit and Child Tax Credit only

September 2024 to December 2025

Any Claimant receiving ESA (income related), whether on its own or alongside Housing Benefit

It is important that you do not do anything until you receive your letter which will advise when you are due to migrate. Your existing claims will not be moved automatically to Universal Credit, so once you’ve received your Universal Credit Migration Notice letter, you’ll need to make a claim for Universal Credit to continue to get financial support.

There will be a deadline in your letter which is 3 months from the date the letter was sent out. Your current benefits will end as soon as you submit your claim for Universal Credit and you will not be able to go back to your existing benefit once you have claimed. If you do not claim Universal Credit within 3 months of this Migration Notice Letter, your current benefits will automatically end so it is important that you do claim Universal Credit within this 3 month period.

If you want some help with your Universal Credit application please contact the move to Universal Credit helpline on 0800 169 0328 or you’re concerned about managing your income until you receive your first Universal Credit payment, there are different types of support available.