Asking the question
How are things going with your partner? What is your relationship like?
I noticed you have a number of bruises/cuts, I am concerned about you, would you tell me about it?
You don’t seem yourself lately. I was wondering if maybe something isn’t right. Can we talk about it?
Further possible questions
- Have you ever felt scared of anybody in your family?
- Have they hurt you in some way? What did they say about it?
- Have they ever thrown things or broken things? Do they get angry?
- What happens when they get angry? What do you think they would be capable of doing?
- Do they get jealous of you seeing friends, talking to other people or going out? If so what happens?
- What would happen if you did something they didn’t like or you disagreed with them?
- If you don’t want to do certain things, do you feel able to tell them?
- Do you ever have sex because you feel you have to rather than because you want to?
- Is this what you think it should be like?
- What would you like to be different?
- If you had a friend telling you this, what would you think? What would you say?
- Thank you for sharing this with me you have done the right thing in telling me.
- It has taken courage to share this and I am happy that you trusted me enough to talk to me.
- This is not okay; you should not be treated like this.
- What do you want to do?
- How can I help?
- What would make things better?
- I will support you as best I can, but I need the help of other agencies to keep you safe and so I am going to talk to......
- This is what I am going to do in response to what you have told me...
- We could call together if you would like that?
- I could meet with you and if you want support in telling them...