Within Cheshire West and Chester there is one part time Gypsy Roma Traveller Education Adviser whose main role is to:
Monitor the educational attainment of Gypsy and Traveller communities
- The progress of all Traveller children attending primary schools is tracked.
Raise awareness and understanding of Gypsies and Travellers and their culture
- Training is provided for schools, settings, university students on Traveller lifestyle and culture
- Advice and guidance is given on teaching materials to promote Traveller lifestyle and culture
- Use of drama presentation for adults and children promoting an understanding of Traveller lifestyle and culture
Support Traveller children and the schools which they attend
- Work with other teams and agencies in resolving any barriers that may exist which would impact on children’s progress at school
Promote educational opportunities among the Gypsy and Traveller communities
- Information on appropriate college courses
- Work with other agencies to provide family literacy projects
Ensure equality of opportunity, access and inclusion for Gypsies and Travellers in Cheshire West and Chester schools
- Working with other teams such as Admissions and SEN to find Traveller children school places if they move into the area from another area
- Promoting the attendance of pre-school Traveller children at Early Years settings
- Advice and support to schools regarding the needs of Traveller children and the use of appropriate materials and resources which positively reflect Gypsy and Traveller history, culture, language and lifestyle
- In‐service training to promote awareness and understanding of Traveller culture and lifestyle.
- Assistance with home/school liaison to promote better understanding of needs and opportunities and to encourage regular patterns of attendance at school.
- Advice on welfare matters such as school transport and health related issues.
- Liaison with other Local Education Authorities and agencies nationally.
- A Resource Bank of teaching materials from which loans may be made to schools and students.
- Facilitation with other agencies/projects e.g. family learning
- Telephone: Antoinette van Ommen 01606 271540