Skip to main content

Managing someone else's affairs

Lasting Power of Attorney

If you become unable to make decisions for yourself, someone will need to make decisions on your behalf. The person you choose to do this will depend on your situation. If you wish, you can officially appoint someone you trust to make decisions for you - this is called making a Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA).

LPAs allow you to appoint a trusted person to make decisions about your personal welfare, including social care, healthcare and consent to medical treatment, and/or your property and financial affairs. An LPA is only valid once registered with the Office of the Public Guardian.

The Court of Protection can issue Orders directing the management of a person’s property and financial affairs if they are incapable of managing their own affairs should they not have an LPA. The Court procedure is currently very slow and the fees are quite expensive so preparing an LPA in advance is always advisable, providing you have somebody sufficiently trustworthy to appoint as your attorney.

Help finding a lawyer

SFE is an independent, national organisation of lawyers who provide specialist legal advice for older and vulnerable people, their families and carers.

Further information about LPAs

For further information about LPAs, please visit the GOV.UK website


Share this page

Terms and conditions Privacy policy Cookies Contact                      

We use cookies

Cheshire West and Chester Council use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on our website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time.