Click4Assistance UK Live Chat Software
Skip to main content

Helping you stay independent

What is there to do?

Keeping active and socialising with others is a great way to keep healthy and independent - this doesn't necessarily mean going to the gym or taking up a sport but could be doing the things you have always done, for example:

  • shopping
  • visiting friends
  • going out for coffee or lunch
  • going to community events

These are just examples of the things that you might want to do and it is worth remembering that these are still available to you - you can arrange these yourself, with a group of friends or you could see if there are any local groups that organise the type of activity you're interested in.

There are also more structured events arranged by local voluntary groups. These are an excellent way to socialise, meet new friends and enjoy different surroundings and can help prevent you from becoming isolated. They can also give your carer a break and some time to themselves. These activities are likely to be available close to your home.

For more information or to find local groups contact the Pathfinder Team

  • Telephone: 01244 329777

Early intervention and prevention - Pathfinder service

Pathfinder supports people to access services within their local community. There are various activities and services that can help you live more independently, including lunch clubs, day care, social activities, volunteering or assisted shopping.

If you are interested or for more information contact the Pathfinder Team

Getting around

There are several ways of getting out and about in Cheshire West and Chester so that you can be independent and socialise with others.

Bus pass

If you are over the state pensionable age, you can apply for a bus pass which will enable you to receive free bus travel. If you have a certain disability or dementia, you can apply for a disability bus pass, this bus pass is a different colour to the normal bus pass and will notify the driver that you have a disability which may help to improve your journey. Both passes can be used Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 11pm and all day on weekends and Bank Holidays.

Disabled parking

If you have a severe and permanent disability, you may be entitled to a Blue Badge which enables you to park closer to where you want to be.


Shopmobility provides daily hire of mobility scooters and wheelchairs across the Borough to enable people with mobility difficulties to access shops and other facilities. A range of mobility aids is also available for sale or longer-term loan in addition to a repair and maintenance service. For further information, call:


  • Telephone: 01244 312626

Ellesmere Port

  • Telephone: 0151 355 1420


  • Telephone: 01606 288820


  • Telephone: 01606 557550

Community transport

There are various community transport schemes operating in the Borough that may be able to help you to get out and about.

Cheshire Community Development Trust

Dial a Ride service operating in the Northwich and Winsford area.

  • Telephone: 01606 784 100


Dial a Ride service, operating in the Chester, Ellesmere Port and Neston area.

  • Telephone: 0151 357 4420

Community Car Scheme

Voluntary Service operating in the Cheshire area.

  • Telephone: 01606 784 100 (managed by CCDT)

For information and other travel options, contact the Transport Commissioning Team

  • Telephone: 01244 973039

Home care

Carefully chosen home care, with a good-quality provider, is an excellent way to retain your freedom and independence whilst getting the help you need to stay happy safe. It can offer the opportunity to stay at home, in your own familiar surroundings and to retain a quality of life you might have feared lost.

Care workers can call in on a daily basis to assist you with day-to-day tasks like washing and dressing. Depending on the level of help required, their visits can be just half an hour or up to several hours. Night services can also be provided.

The hourly rate for these types of services are dependent on the services required, the time of day and the location. Rural areas may present particular difficulties and a travel charge will probably be made in addition to the normal hourly rate.

Contact the Cheshire West Community Access Team: