Borrowing, charges and fines
You may borrow up to 20 physical items from your local library. This may include:
- Books and audiobooks
Most items are loaned for three weeks.
Items on loan can be easily renewed (if they are not reserved by another borrower). You can renew items in the following ways.
You can also renew by email, phone or visiting a library. You can find details for your local library below.
|Audiobooks and language courses||
Library members who have difficulty reading print or handling books will not be charged for the loan or reservation of audiobooks, language courses or large print books.
Late return fines
To encourage library members to return items on time, the following late fines are charged:
|Books loaned on an adult ticket||
|Books loaned on a child ticket||
Charges for overdue items
If you have an email address, you can opt to receive a free notice email when items are due for return or renewal. However, this is a courtesy service and the prompt return or renewal of loans remains the responsibility of the library member, therefore, in the event of non-delivery of the advance email any overdue charges cannot be waived.
Reserving an item
You can reserve items online. You will need your library card number and PIN.
The costs for reserving items are as follows.
- Reserve items for adults (18 and over) within Cheshire: £1
- Reserve items for children from within Cheshire: free of charge
- Reserve items from a UK library outside Cheshire: £3.60
- Books from the British Library (and libraries which charge British Library rates): £17.15
- Please note: replacement costs for lost/damaged British Library books can be substantial
- British Library renewal: £5.70
Ordering journal articles from the British Library
- Journal article sent to personal email: £6.10
- Journal article printed and sent to Library Shared Services: £12.15
- Electronic scan to email from print: £10.65
Charges for using a library computer, printing documents and making copies
|Personal computer use for library members||
|Personal computer use for visitors||
|Printing black and white||
|Photocopies black and white||
Charges for lost library tickets or lost or damaged items
Lost library tickets
For computerised libraries, including mobile libraries, replacement is charged as follows.
- Lost adult ticket: £1.60
- 80p children
Lost and damaged items
Charges for lost and damaged items are calculated in the following ways:
The minimum charge for any lost or damaged item is £2.50. An administration charge of £2.50 will be deducted from any refund, if a lost item is found.