Homework, study and research
- Cbeebies Radio: listening activities for younger children
- DK Find Out: Dorling Kindersley activities and quizzes
- Kidslingo: multi award-winning language classes online via live video - in French and Spanish
- National Geographic Kids: activities and quizzes for younger children
- Oxford Owl for Home: free resources for primary age including phonics, spelling and maths activities. Guide to Oxford reading tree also provided
- Red Ted Art: easy arts and crafts for younger children
- Science learning at home: range of topics provided by Jodrell Bank to enhance learning about science.
- British Council: resources for English language learning.
- Duolingo: learn languages for free (not available via Internet Explorer browser)
- Seneca: free revision resources for GCSE and A level.
- No Fear Shakespeare – Spark Notes: provides the full text of Shakespeare's plays and sonnets side-by-side, with translations into modern English. It also provides summaries of each play as well as a guide to the main characters, themes and significant quotes. Also offers links to further study.
Further education and research
Your library card number will be required to access:
- Access to Research: articles from academic journals and conferences (available for use in the library only)
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography: historical information about people who have helped shaped the British Isles.
- Public Information Online: UK Parliamentary and government publications including acts, bills, command papers, daily Hansard, civil service yearbook and a wide range of statistics
- Futurelearn: access to 100s of free courses (only pay to upgrade if you need a certificate)
- Openlearn: free taster courses aimed at those considering open university but accessible to all
- The Skills Toolkit: new digital learning platform developed by the Department of Education, linking to a variety of websites and opportunities. Free, high quality digital and numeracy courses available.
- Library Hub Discover: access to details of materials held in many UK national, academic and specialist libraries. Search a database of 169 UK and Irish academic, national & specialist library catalogues (replaces the COPAC and SUNCAT)
- WorldCat: books, journals and media collections of more than 10,000 libraries worldwide
- Oxford English Dictionary: the full Oxford English Dictionary, over 600,000 words, three million quotations