Borrowing, charges and fines
Please note: following the latest advice from Public Health England about social distancing we will be temporarily closing all libraries to the public from 5pm on Friday 20 March 2020, until further notice.
To help you to continue using our service we have:
- Extended all loans until the end of April. We will continue to review this as necessary
- Halted any new fines
- Removed the limit on all renewals
- Removed the charge for holds not collected
- Remember you can also access eBooks, audio downloads, eMagazines and eResources, free of charge.
You can renew your loans using the Cheshire Libraries Catalogue or phone 0300 123 7739 for 24 hour renewals. You can also email email@example.com.
You may borrow up to 20 items from your local library. These may include:
- up to 20 books
- eight DVDs, audiobooks
two DVD box sets
Most items are loaned for three weeks. DVDs are loaned for one week. If you are a Cheshire Leisure Card holder you can borrow many of these items at a discounted rate and these are stated in the table of charges where applicable.
Items on loan can be easily renewed (if they are not reserved by another borrower). You can renew items in the following ways.
You can also renew by email, phone or visiting a library. You can find details for your local library below.
You can also renew your loans using the 24 hour telephone renewal line.
Library loans - costs by item type
|Audiobooks and language courses
- Adult titles: £1.60 per three weeks or £1.10 for CLCH
- Children's titles: 80p per three weeks or 60p for CLCH
- £3 per week
- £2.40 for CLCH
|DVDs at reduced rate
- £1.50 per week
- £1.20 for CLCH
|DVDs box set - one week loan
- £3 per week
- £2.40 for CLCH
|DVDs, box set
Library members who have difficulty reading print or handling books will not be charged for the loan or reservation of audiobooks, language courses or large print books.
Late return fines
To encourage library members to return items on time, the following late fines are charged:
|Books loaned on an adult ticket
- 20p per item per day to a maximum of £8 per item.
|Books loaned on a child ticket
- 5p per item per day to a maximum of £1 per item.
- Children's books borrowed on an adult ticket are subject to the adult fine rate.
|Books and CLCH tickets
- 10p per item per day to a maximum of £4 per item.
- Adult ticket: 35p per item per day to a maximum of £8 per item
- Child ticket: 20p per item per day to a maximum of £4 per item
- CLCH ticket: 25p per item per day to a maximum of £5 per item
Charges for overdue items
If you have an email address, you can opt to receive a free advance notice email when items are due for return or renewal. However, this is a courtesy service and the prompt return or renewal of loans remains the responsibility of the library member, therefore, in the event of non-delivery of the advance email any overdue charges cannot be waived.
Reserving an item
You can reserve items online. You will need your library card number and PIN.
The costs for reserving items are as follows.
Ordering journal articles from the British Library
- Electronic copy sent by email: £5.60
- Scanned print copy sent by email: £9.80
- Standard print copy sent by post: £11.30
Charges for using a library computer, printing documents and making copies
|Personal computer use for library members
- One hour per day: free of charge
- £2 per hour or part of an hour thereafter
- £1 for children and CLCH
|Personal computer use for visitors
- £2 per hour or part of an hour
|Printing black and white
- 20p per page
- 10p for children and CLCH
- 80p per page
- 40p children and CLCH
|Photocopies black and white
- 10p per A4 sheet
- 20p per A3 sheet
- £1 per A4 sheet
- £1.50 per A3 sheet (where available)
|Fax to UK
- First sheet: £1.30 or 70p for CLCH
- Subsequent sheets: 70p or 40p for CLCH
- £2.55 for first sheet or £1.30 CLCH
- £1.30 for subsequent sheets or 70p CLCH
Charges for lost library tickets or lost or damaged items
Lost library tickets
For computerised libraries, including mobile libraries, replacement is charged as follows.
- Lost adult ticket: £1.60
- 80p children and CLCH
Lost and damaged items
Charges for lost and damaged items are calculated in the following ways.
library charges for lost items
|All items, including DVDs||Charges |
Up to two years old
Two to four years old
Four to six years old
Six years and over
- Full purchase price
- 75% of purchase price
- 50% of purchase price
- 25% of purchase price
The minimum charge for any lost or damaged item is £2.50. An administration charge of £2.50 will be deducted from any refund, if a lost item is found.