How to report an alarm
If you are being disturbed by a burglar alarm you should report it to us. The alarm needs to be sounding in excess of 20 minutes continuously or in excess of 60 minutes intermittently before we will respond. Our lines are open 8am to 7pm, Monday to Friday.
Telephone: 0300 123 7038
You will need to give us the following information:
- address where the alarm is located.
- if the alarm is sounding internally or externally - the way we will deal with it will differ. Whilst still time consuming, externally sounding alarms can be resolved easier than internal alarms which require the Council to get a warrant from a magistrate.
- how long the alarm has been sounding for and if it automatically cuts off after 20 minutes.
- name and contact details for the resident/business, if known - it is expected that you will speak to the resident/business in the first instance if they are available.
Our response times
We aim to respond within 24 hours of when you contacted us. We do not offer an out of hours service, so if you call us during the weekend we will respond the next working day.
How we deal with alarms
We have key holder details for some alarms. If we can't silence the alarm we will cut the wires on the outside of the alarm box to silence it. As a last resort we will get a locksmith to gain entry and silence the alarm. Whatever action we take, we will write to the occupier advising them of what we have done.
What to do if you are installing an intruder alarm
- ensure it is fitted with a 20 minute cut-off device.
- have it serviced and maintained at regular intervals.
- tell your neighbour who holds a key to your home, in case of a problem with the alarm when you are away.
- register your keyholder details.
It is not a legal requirement to register key-holders, however, in the event of your alarm sounding someone will try to contact you and this may prevent enforcement action and associated costs which would have ordinarily passed back to you. Typical costs are £300 but it may be more.
Note: If your alarm meets certain criteria you may be eligible for a discount on your home insurance