Skip to main content

Noise nuisance from licensed premises

If you are experiencing noise from a pub or a club it may be necessary to request a review of their premises licence or club premises certificate.

Where to find help

If the premises are located within the Cheshire West and Chester you should contact us:

When you can apply

You may apply anytime following the grant of a premises licence/club premises certificate but, if you have previously made similar representations regarding the premises, for example, when the licence was granted or at a previous review, a reasonable time must elapse before you make your application.

How do you apply

You must complete and send us the "Form of Application for the review of a premises licence or club premises certificate under the Licensing Act 2003".

Forms are available from the Licensing Team or you can download the form below.

The grounds of your application must relate to one or more of the four licensing objectives:

  • the prevention of crime and disorder
  • public safety
  • the prevention of public nuisance
  • the protection of children from harm.

You must send a copy of your application including any supporting documents to the premises licence holder and to each of the responsible authorities for the Cheshire West and Chester Council area. You must do this on the same day as you send your application to us. A list of names and addresses for the responsible authorities is available from the Licensing Team.

Advertising your application

We must advertise details of your application for a review of the premises licence/club premises certificate.

  • we must display a notice at the premises to which the application relates for not less than 28 days, beginning on the day after you make your application to us
  • we must also display a notice at our offices
  • we may also publish details of your application on our website.

What happens to your application

  • the Premises Licence Holder, responsible authorities and interested parties can make representations to us about your application.
  • we will hold a hearing to consider them. We will tell you when the hearing will take place and what you need to do to prepare for it.

Following the hearing we may:

  • decide that no action is necessary
  • issue an informal warning and/or recommend improvements within a particular time
  • modify the conditions of the licence, for example, reduce the opening hours of the premises or require door supervisors and/or CCTV;
  • exclude a licensable activity from the scope of the licence;
  • remove the designated premises supervisor;
  • suspend the licence for a period not exceeding three months;
  • revoke the licence.

Who may request a review of a premises licence/club premises certificate

  • responsible authorities eg, the police, fire service or environmental protection team.
  • interested parties ie, residents, councillors, licensing authority and businesses.
  • a member of the club to which the club premises certificate relates.

In addition, a review of the licence will normally follow any closure order obtained by the police in respect of the premises.

Can the premises licence holder appeal

The applicant for the review, the premises licence holder and any person who submitted a representation all have a right of appeal against our decision.

Share this page

Terms and conditions Privacy policy Cookies Contact                      

We use cookies

Cheshire West and Chester Council use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on our website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time.