Skip to main content

Apply for planning permission

Before you apply for planning permission, have you:

How to apply

You can use iApply or Planning Portal to submit and pay for your application online

iApply is a service to submit planning applications, building control submissions and planning pre-applications electronically. Registration is easy and you can complete your application form, upload supporting documents and pay fees online. 

Apply online using iApply  

For the majority of applications, you can apply online using the Planning Portal. 

Planning Portal is a service to submit planning applications electronically. Registration is easy and you can complete your application form, upload supporting documents and pay fees online.

Apply online using the Planning Portal

Please note: From 10th September 2018 applications that require a fee will incur a service charge of £16.67 +VAT and will not be released by the Planning Portal to us until payment has been received. You can find more information online.

Download application forms

This facility allows forms for any application type to be downloaded for submission to the council on paper if required. As not all application types can be applied for online, the Planning Portal provides a list of applications for which the online service is not yet available.

Planning fees

The easiest way to find the fee for an application is to use one of the following fee calculators.

Encroachment onto neighbouring land

If your proposal encroaches onto land that is not in your ownership (for example, by the eaves or guttering overhanging a boundary, or new access through Highway land) you may not be able to proceed without your neighbour's agreement, even if you have planning permission. Please download the relevant Notice to Owners form.

The Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)

The Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) is a planning charge on new housing and retail development that can be used by the local authority to help deliver infrastructure to support development in the area. It is a fixed, non-negotiable charge related to the size and type of chargeable development.

The CIL will effect residential developments that create new dwelling houses or additional floor space 100 square metres or over in Chester and the rural area and A1 retail space at Sealand Road, Chester and Cheshire Oaks, Ellesmere Port.

You can read more information on CIL here.

How can I pay for a planning application?

You can pay for a planning application by credit/debit card over the phone or when applying online using iApply.

Share this page

Terms and conditions Privacy policy Cookies Contact                      

We use cookies

Cheshire West and Chester Council use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on our website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time.