Skip to main content

Application for tourism signing

How to apply

Download and fill out the application (Word,100KB), you can then send it back to our highways teams.

For the Chester and Ellesmere Port area:

Highways Service
Cheshire West and Chester Council
Chester and Ellesmere Port Area Highways Office
Guilden Sutton Depot
Guilden Sutton Lane 
Guilden Sutton                                                                                                                         
CH3 7EX                                                                                                             

For the Vale Royal area:

Highways Service
Cheshire West and Chester Council
Winsford and Northwich Area Highways Office
Phoenix House
Clough Road
CW7 4BD                                                                               

How much does it cost?

There is a non-refundable fee of £95 for the initial assessment. All costs associated with the design, provision, erection and future maintenance of tourism signing will be charged to the applicant but as guidance.

An example of signing to a venue consisting of two advanced signs and a double-sided sign at the entrance is likely to cost at least £1,200 + 25% administration fee + 20% future maintenance cost = Total Price + VAT. This is in addition to the assessment fee.

Definition of tourist amenities

Tourism amenities are divided into two main categories. Attractions and facilities.

An attraction includes establishments which are covered by the original tourism definition, i.e. places of interest open to the public offering recreation, education or historical interest. Such as craft centres, museums, natural attractions, camping and caravan sites, leisure complexes and theme parks. Signing will be permitted for any new destinations of these types.

A facility covers establishments which provide a service, i.e. accommodation, restaurants, public houses, shops, cinemas and theatres.

The following requirements must be complied with to ensure that quality standards are maintained. To qualify for brown and white signs, an attraction must:

  • Meet the standards of the Citizens Charter of the English Tourist Board.
  • Have a minimum opening of 150 days per year, and for at least four hours per day. (There are some attractions and facilities which are not open for this period that could also qualify due to their tourism value).
  • Provide an appropriate level of car parking, catering and toilet facilities for the expected number of visitors.
  • Be available for use by the public during opening hours without the need for pre-booking or membership.
  • Attract visitors from outside the local area.
  • Demonstrate that the destination is publicised as a tourism attraction or facility and advertises itself in tourism promotions

And must comply with all appropriate statutory requirements such as:

  • Accommodation and inspection certificate
  • Visitors charter
  • Liquor licenses
  • Registration under the Food Safety Act 1990
  • Environmental health issues
  • Planning permissions
  • Public Health Act 1936
  • Caravan Sites and Control Development Act 1960

Attraction and facility guidance

Hotels, guest houses, bed and breakfast facilities

All establishments must be members of Quality Assurance schemes which require independent inspection of members premises. The largest of these are the VisitBritain National Quality Assessment Scheme and the AA

In urban areas it will be impossible to sign all establishments, although a generic or zone signing scheme may be adopted for large concentrations of accommodation.

In rural areas accommodation can be signed below existing boundary signs (point of entry signs) to villages or small towns. Where this is not practical, only accommodation that is not visible to passing trade will be signed. Large hotels in rural areas which may generate a significant amount of traffic will be signed from the nearest main road.

Self catering accommodation, camping and caravanning sites

Facilities which require booking will not be eligible for signing.

Caravan and camping sites must be licensed under the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 and/or the Public Health Act 1936 and have at least 20 pitches for caravans/tents (combined if necessary) for casual overnight use. Some static sites may qualify (where they are available without pre-booking) but the use of the caravan symbol will not be allowed as this could be confusing to touring caravans requiring an overnight pitch.

Public houses, restaurants, cafes

These can be signed if:

  • food is served both at lunch time and during the evening
  • facilities are provided inside to allow children to accompany parents
  • adequate parking is provided
  • no traffic management problems will be created
  • signing is required due to locational problems
  • advertising should take place to the tourist industry and not just in the local press

In urban areas it will be impossible to sign all establishments except where generic signing is used.

In rural areas signing will be restricted to point of entry signs or where the venue is located away from main through routes.

Licensed premises will not be signed in view of the various council road safety policies on drinking and driving.

Shops and craft centres

These can be signed if:

  • The mix of facilities provides a genuine leisure experience, such  as entertainment, rides, demonstrations, exclusive environment
  • There is evidence of promotion within the tourist market
  • The retail facility is sufficiently unique or exceptional in regional or national terms
  • The majority of customers travel from outside the area

Sport and leisure

Football clubs, rugby clubs, cricket clubs, fisheries, golf driving ranges, and leisure centres can all be signed.

Tennis clubs, squash clubs, badminton clubs, golf clubs can be signed but only where non-members can play without prior booking.

Further information

Terms and conditions Privacy policy Cookies Contact