Skip to main content

Request a bulky item collection



Request a collection

If you want to arrange a collection or have any questions about this service please contact us.

 Apply for bulky waste collection

What you need to know

You can choose a collection date from a list of available dates when you book to have your unwanted items taken away. Collection dates will usually be from around four working days from the date on which you make the booking.

If your item is reusable, please place your item(s) out for collection as close to your collection day as possible and attempt to keep it dry so it can be reused. Collections will take place from 8.30am on your arranged collection day.


  • Charge per unit: £15 (what counts as a unit?)
  • Concessionary rate per unit: £10 (available to householders in receipt of a state pension or council tax reduction)

The payment method for the service is by credit or debit card. Alternatively, arrangements can be made for payment by cheque. Please note that once made, payments are non-refundable.

Items we collect

These are examples of items that can be collected - please contact us for further information.


  • Cookers
  • Washing machines
  • Tumble dryers
  • Microwaves
  • Sinks and sideboards
  • Fridges and freezers (domestic)

Furniture and furnishings

  • Desks, dressing tables, chairs, pianos
  • Settees / sofas, dining tables, three piece suite
  • Wardrobes
  • Beds
  • Carpet and underlay
  • Bookcases and display cabinets

Electrical equipment

  • Computers (and monitors)
  • Televisions

Garden and leisure

  • Barbecues
  • Bikes
  • Patio sets
  • Pianos (upright)


  • Baths, bidets and toilets
  • Boilers and radiators
  • Doors
  • Fire surrounds
  • Window frames

What counts as a unit?

You can request up to four units per collection. 

A single item of furniture or a single electrical appliance will count as one unit.

However, sets of items such as a three piece suite, a table and six dining chairs or carpet and underlay from one room, will count as just one unit.

Please check when you book your collection.

Items we do not collect

  • Car parts
  • Domestic waste
  • Garden waste, gas bottles, green houses
  • Landscaping materials
  • Oil tanks

We will not remove anything containing glass. 

Donate furniture and electrical appliances for reuse

There are a number of charitable furniture reuse groups in the Borough which collect good quality reusable furniture and household appliances.

They donate or sell these at low cost to those who have need of them. This option prevents items from going to landfill and has a positive local social benefit.

Hiring skips and private waste contractors 

You can decide to dispose of your own waste in bulk by hiring authorised private skip or waste removal services. To find a company in your area consult the local business listings.

Remember to always use a reputable company. To ensure you don't fall foul of a fly-tipper follow this simple checklist:

  • Always ask the company or tradesperson to show you their 'Registered Waste Carriers Licence'. If they are unable to do this do not give them your waste
  • If in doubt you can check the registration details by telephoning the Environment Agency on: 08708 506506
  • Ensure you get a receipt for any waste removed and take full details of the vehicle and company removing it such as the registration number
  • Finally, remember to get a number of quotes and if one is 'too good to be true' then it probably is 

Household waste recycling centres

The Council's Household Waste Recycling Centres accept most household bulky waste items free of charge.

Share this page

We use cookies

Cheshire West and Chester Council use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on our website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time.