Code of conduct
COVID-19 recycling centre rules
- do not visit a site if you have COVID-19 symptoms or are in self-isolation. If you or anyone in your household has COVID-19 symptoms, double bag the waste and keep it at home for 72 hours before disposal
- assistance can be given when unloading your vehicle. Site operatives will continue to wear a face mask when assistance is provided and it is requested that site users also wear a face mask when requiring assistance unless you are exempt
- reuse shops at Winsford, Chester, Ellesmere Port, Northwich and Neston are open. It is requested that site users visiting the shops wear a face mask unless you are exempt
- long delays and queues are likely. Please assess if your journey really is essential
- waste must be separated before travelling to the site
- please wear gloves if possible to reduce the risk of infections
It is important that site users understand what is expected of them and what standard of service they can receive in return.
What we expect from you
- our recycling centres are exclusively for the use of Cheshire West residents to deposit their household waste. Commercial/trade waste is not accepted.
- where a resident or charity permit is required, it must be presented before using the site
- automatic number plate recognition (ANPR), CCTV and body camera monitoring is in place at all sites
- users should sort and separate different materials before their visit, ensuring materials are placed into the appropriate containers at the site
- deposited goods may be sold or reused through a variety of outlets in order to reduce what is sent for disposal. The exchange or sale of goods on site between individual users is not permitted.
- your waste may be checked on arrival, site attendants reserve the right to publicly open any bags and/or boxes in order to check contents
- items that we do not accept should not be left on site
- depositing waste when the site is closed, either outside the gate or elsewhere is fly tipping and subject to enforcement action
- anyone using abusive language or intimidating behaviour towards site staff or other site visitors will be asked to leave.
- trailers over 3.5m in length are not permitted at Winsford, Ellesmere Port and Chester
- due to access restrictions, trailers over 1.5m in length are not permitted at either Tattenhall or Frodsham
- also due to access restrictions, trailers over 2.5m in length are not permitted at Northwich or Neston
- vehicles above 3.5 tonnes gross vehicle weight are not permitted to use in our recycling centres
- all vehicles entering any recycling centre must display number plates that meet legal requirements. In particular, all plates must be made from a reflective material and if towing a trailer the plate must match the vehicle towing it
These restrictions are in place due to limited space on some of our sites.
Staying safe on site
- pedestrian access is only permitted on sites where a dedicated gate is present
- instructions given by staff, signs, notices and road markings must be adhered at all times
- children (aged 12 and under) and pets must remain in vehicles at all times
- sensible footwear and gloves should be worn when handling waste
- smoking and the use of mobile phones is prohibited
Proof of residency
- residents must accompany their waste to the recycling centre, regardless of who is transporting it, and provide proof of residency when requested
- hired or unmarked vans may need to provide proof of residency before being granted permission to use the site
- where requested, users will be required to provide proof of residency and complete a waste declaration form. Until it has been confirmed where the waste has come from, access to all of our sites may be restricted.
What you can expect from us
- members of staff will be available to assist customers in operational areas. If requested, assistance will be provided where safe to do so.
- staff will assess customers' needs, provide guidance and offer assistance
- staff will be helpful, polite, respectful and fair
- staff members can easily be identified by their work wear, branded hi-vis waistcoat and unique ID badge. They will provide their first name when asked to do so.
- customer queries will be dealt with in a polite, honest and courteous manner
- staff will be able to provide contact details for our customer services team if needed
- staff members demonstrate competence by operating in accordance with HWM's policies and procedures to ensure all sites are operated in a safe and compliant manner.
- incidents of bad practice will be investigated and dealt with in accordance with the company's disciplinary process