Code of conduct
It is important that site users understand what is expected of them and what standard of service they can receive in return.
What we expect from you
- our recycling centres are exclusively for the use of Cheshire West residents to deposit their household waste. Commercial waste is not accepted.
- where a resident or charity permit is required, it must be presented before using the site
- automatic number plate recognition (ANPR), CCTV and body camera monitoring is in place at all sites
- users should sort and separate different materials before their visit, ensuring materials are placed into the appropriate containers at the site
- deposited goods may be sold or reused through a variety of outlets in order to reduce what is sent for disposal. The exchange or sale of goods on site between individual users is not permitted.
- your waste may be checked on arrival, site attendants reserve the right to publicly open any bags and/or boxes in order to check contents
- items that we do not accept should not be left on site
- depositing waste when the site is closed, either outside the gate or elsewhere is fly tipping and subject to enforcement action
- foul or abusive language to staff or anyone else on site will not be tolerated and will result in future access being restricted
- trailers over 3.5m in length and vehicles above 3.5 tonnes gross vehicle weight are not permitted to use in our recycling centres
- due to access restrictions, trailers over 1.5m are not permitted at either Tattenhall or Frodsham
- also due to access restrictions, trailers over 2.5m are not permitted at Northwich or Neston
- all vehicles entering any recycling centre must display number plates that meet legal requirements. In particular, all plates must be made from a reflective material and if towing a trailer the plate must match the vehicle towing it.
Staying safe on site
- pedestrian access is only permitted on sites where a dedicated gate is present
- instructions given by staff, signs, notices and road markings must be adhered at all times
- children (aged 12 and under) and pets must remain in vehicles at all times
- sensible footwear and gloves should be worn when handling waste
- smoking and the use of mobile phones is prohibited
Proof of residency
- residents must accompany their waste to the recycling centre, regardless of who is transporting it, and provide proof of residency when requested
- hired or unmarked vans may need to provide proof of residency before being granted permission to use the site
- where requested, users will be required to provide proof of residency and complete a waste declaration form. Until it has been confirmed where the waste has come from, access to all of our sites may be restricted.
What you can expect from us
- members of staff will be available to assist customers in operational areas. If requested, assistance will be provided where safe to do so.
- staff will assess customers' needs, provide guidance and offer assistance
- staff will be helpful, polite, respectful and fair
- staff members can easily be identified by their work wear, branded hi-vis waistcoat and unique ID badge. They will provide their first name when asked to do so.
- customer queries will be dealt with in a polite, honest and courteous manner
- staff will be able to provide contact details for our customer services team if needed
- staff members demonstrate competence by operating in accordance with HWM's policies and procedures to ensure all sites are operated in a safe and compliant manner.
- incidents of bad practice will be investigated and dealt with in accordance with the company's disciplinary process