Skip to main content

Fixed penalty notices

The council can issue fixed penalty notices for environmental crime. They are given for a range of offences, including:

  • dropping litter
  • flyposting
  • abandoned vehicles

They can also be issued for leaving bin bags out on the wrong collection day in certain areas of Chester.

If you receive a fixed penalty notice

Details of what offence is involved and how to pay can be found on the notice. Some offences offer a reduced penalty if paid within seven working days. Again, this information is provided on the notice. Fixed penalty notices are issued as an alternative to court. If you do not pay you may be prosecuted and fined.

How can I pay?

You can pay in person, over the phone or by post. The Council accepts debit/credit cards, cheques and postal orders. We are unable to accept cash. Full instructions appear on your fixed penalty notice.

Right of appeal

There is no right of appeal for these offences. If you do not agree with the fine then you may put your case before the magistrates court. To do this follow the instructions on the summons you receive following non-payment of the fine.

Should you receive a summons you will have to attend a court to have your case heard. You will need to consider the following:

  • contacting your local Citizens Advice Bureau for advice
  • involving the services of a solicitor
  • preparing evidence that may be presented in the court in prosecution of the case

If the court finds against you, you may be liable to a higher fine, a criminal record, a possible prison sentence and you may be liable for court costs

Share this page

We use cookies

Cheshire West and Chester Council use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on our website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time.