Click4Assistance UK Live Chat Software
Skip to main content

Young peoples service


The 16-19 bursary for young people

If you need some financial support to help you stay in education or training after the age of 16, you can apply to your school, college or training provider for the 16-19 Bursary Fund.

Student finance

There is financial support available if you are planning to go into higher education. This includes student loans for tuition fees or maintenance. You may also be entitled to a maintenance or special support grant.

Find out about costs, how to apply and what you may be eligible for and details of bursaries and scholarships:


Young people under the age of 18 are not automatically entitled to claim Job Seekers Allowance (JSA) if they are unemployed. Special circumstances may apply for different situations.

There are also some circumstances where young people under the age of 18 are entitled to claim Income Support (IS). There are strict rules and eligibility criteria around claiming benefits of any kind so it is always best to check with your local Job Centre.

If you are under 18 and pregnant or a parent there will be other benefits you can claim such as Maternity Benefit, Child Benefit or Child Tax Credits.

Care to Learn for young parents

As a young parent, Care to Learn can help pay for your childcare and travel costs while you are learning:

  • Telephone: 0800 121 8989

Other resources

If you need advice on managing your money, getting a student loan, National Insurance (NI), Tax, Pocket money, wages/allowances or getting a bank account, the following websites may be of help.