Click4Assistance UK Live Chat Software
Skip to main content

Building Consultancy and Control privacy notice

Who will own my data once I submit it?

We will own your data once it has been submitted.

Why do you need my information?

We need your name and address and postcode, telephone numbers and email address to enable us to assess your application in relation to our Building Control service and issue a valid certificate or permit and communicate efficiently with you about your application.

If you are the owner of a building or structure that becomes dangerous we may also require and collect your personal information so that we can resolve the issue in accordance with dangerous building and structure legislation.

What else might your information be used for?

We may also use the information to improve our products and services, internal record keeping and to advise you of relevant information relating to our Building Control service.

We may periodically send promotional emails about new products, special offers or other information which we think you may find interesting using the email address, telephone number or postal address which you have provided.

From time to time, we may also use your information to contact you for market research purposes. We may contact you by email, phone or mail.

What allows you to use my information

When we collect and process your personal information for our Building Control service, we do so as part of our duties as a local authority.

The Building Regulations 2010 Regulations 13, 14 and 18 makes it a requirement that any person who undertakes building work at their premises applies for Building Control consent. In applying for Building Control consent you also have to provide your name, address and contact details.

We also have a statutory duty to protect members of the public from dangerous buildings or structures under the Building Act 1984 sections 77, 78 and 79. In doing so it may be necessary to obtain the name and address of the building or structure owner so that the dangerous condition of the structure or building can be abated or if we have to exercise our enforcement powers in relation to the matter.

When you access the service you will also be asked for your consent to opt-in to our email marketing.

Who will my information be shared with?

Your details may be shared within some of our other departments and with other relevant local authority building control teams within England or Wales if your application has been submitted through a partner agent registered with the national LABC partnership scheme.

We may also share your information with statutory consultants such as United Utilities, Welsh Water, Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service and the Cheshire Brine Subsidence Compensation board.

The information you give us may also be shared with any part of the council or with other local or national enforcement agencies, legal services, investigative contractors and other third parties to prevent crime, protect the public from harm or fraud and protect public funds.

Do I have to provide this information and what will happen if I don't?

If you do not provide your name and address we will be unable to legally process your building regulation application.

For the purposes of possessing your application quickly and providing you with a fast and efficient service, we also ask that you voluntarily provide us with a contact telephone number and email. These details do not have to be given and you can request that they are removed at any time, however, this may result in delays if we need to communicate with you about your application.

How long will you keep this data for and why?

We will keep a record of all building regulation applications for a period of 15 years. This is in accordance with oue retention policy which in turn is taken from government guidelines published in the Building Control Performance Standards document.

Information relating to dangerous structures will be retained for a period of up to seven years from the last action in the case, in line with local government best practice.

How will my information be stored?

The information that you provide to us will be scanned or imported digitally into a password protected database system. The data may be stored on corporate servers, within a cloud based storage system and/or locally on a corporate pc, laptop or mobile device. Paper copies of your details submitted as part of your building regulation application will be stored within our offices and then destroyed once a formal decision on your application has been made.

What rights do I have when it comes to my data

Under data protection legislation you have the right to request access to the information that we hold about you.

You can request a copy of your data or ask questions about how it is used via our Data Protection and Your Rights page and then submit your request by following your preferred method of contact in the 'How do I ask for my personal information' section.

In certain circumstances, under data protection legislation, you may also have the right to.

  • object to processing of personal data that is likely to cause, or is causing, damage or distress
  • have inaccurate personal data rectified, blocked, erased or destroyed
  • prevent processing for the purpose of direct marketing
  • object to decisions being taken by automated means

To make a request follow the instructions on our Data protection for you page.

Who can I complain to if I am unhappy about how my data is used

You can complain directly to our Data Protection team online or by post.

  • Online: Contact the DPO
  • By post: Phil Orchard, Data Protection Officer, HQ, Nicholas Street, Chester, CH1 2NP

You also have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office using the following details:

Will this information be used to take automated decisions about me


Will my data be transferred abroad and why