Click4Assistance UK Live Chat Software
Skip to main content

Cheshire Care Record privacy notice

What is a Cheshire Care Record (CCR)?

Health and social care service providers in Cheshire are working together to coordinate the delivery of care to patients and service users.

In order to achieve this, anyone who receives health or social care support in Cheshire will have a Cheshire Care Record (CCR) created. Health and social care providers are then able to access your care record, with your consent, through their secure IT networks 24 hours a day.

Who will own my data once I submit it?

We will own your data once it has been submitted.

Why do you need my information?

The shared record will only ever be used for your direct care, although the system will be capable of producing data for analysis. This type of data will never be able to identify you.

The information held in the system, where relevant, includes:

  • name, address, NHS number and phone number
  • medications
  • test results and investigations
  • correspondence
  • clinical history
  • emergency department treatment
  • future and past appointments
  • health plans and alerts
  • social care summary of needs
  • mental health alerts and diagnoses.

The information held in the record is regularly uploaded and presented so that your care provider can see a relevant history and can make better decisions about your care.

What allows you to use my information?

Your Cheshire Care Record can only be accessed by the health and social care providers with your consent.

You are able to withdraw your consent and ‘opt out’ at any time by telling your GP that you do not want your data to be shared. However, once you have done this the only way to change this is to go back to your GP to ask them to ‘opt’ you back in.

Health and social care support workers can also access your Cheshire Care Record:

  • should you lack the capacity to provide your consent
  • you are under the age of 13 and are not accompanied by a parent
  • when you are already receiving services from us but have been referred to us from another provider
  • an incident has occurred that requires us to protect you

When we access your Care Record this way we rely on the following legislation:

  • Care Act 2014
  • Children and Families Act 2014
  • Health and Social Care Act 2012
  • Health and Social Care Act (Safety and Quality) 2015
  • Mental Capacity Act
  • Mental Health Act 1983

Who will my information be shared with?

Your information is shared with providers of health and social care.

Do I have to provide this information and what will happen if I don’t?

Your Cheshire Care Record is simply a reflection of your individual social care record held by us and other providers of health and social care services that you have accessed.

The first time that a health or social care worker tries to access your record, the system will require them to complete a consent screen to indicate if you have given them consent to view the shared health and social care record, unless you have already ‘opted out’ in which case, a system message states: “The patient has declined to have an electronic shared record.”

If you do not wish to provide your consent for a shared health and social care record, this will not impact on the services that you receive from individual health and social care organisations. However, if your care provider does not have access to the information from all the care that you are receiving or they have to wait for information to be sent over from other health and social care providers, this may delay any decisions they have to make about what’s best for your care.

Having your information available on the Cheshire Care Record will mean:

  • less chance of your information being duplicated or lost
  • fewer delays in getting the right treatment for you
  • a much better, and more supportive, experience for you as a patient

How long will you keep this data for and why?

Your information is held on the Cheshire Care Record for a period of two years following the termination of your care from us. If you wish your record to be removed from the Cheshire Care Record system following the termination of your care please liaise with your social worker or contact our social care teams:

Adult Social Care

Children and Families Social Care

How will my information be stored?

When you receive social care support from us, your details are added to our secure electronic social care system and a copy of your record is also stored within a secure data centre, hosted by the Countess of Chester NHS Foundation Trust.

What rights do I have when it comes to my data?

Under data protection legislation, you have the right to request access to the information that we hold about you. In certain circumstances you also have the right to

  • object to processing of personal data that is likely to cause, or is causing, damage or distress
  • prevent processing for the purpose of direct marketing
  • object to decisions being taken by automated means
  • have inaccurate personal data rectified, blocked, erased or destroyed.

We will only hold your personal information for as long as necessary for business purposes or if we are required to keep it by law.

To make a request follow the instructions on our Data protection for you page.

Who can I complain to if I am unhappy about how my data is used?

You can complain directly to our Data Protection team online or by post.

  • By post: Phil Orchard, Data Protection Officer, HQ, Nicholas Street, Chester, CH1 2NP
Contact the DPO

You also have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office.

  • By post: The Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF
  • Telephone: 08456 30 60 60 or 01625 54 57 45
Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) website

Will this information be used to take automated decisions about me?


Will my data be transferred abroad and why?